add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Triangle .NET User Group Message Board TRINUG Discussion Forum › Fishing for topic suggestions for Dev Craftsmanship sig...

Fishing for topic suggestions for Dev Craftsmanship sig...

Greg P.
user 4562386
Durham, NC
Post #: 1
I'm fishing for topic suggestions for future Developer Craftsmanship sigs...

In particular, for the Wed July 24th meeting, but also for the next few months.

Please suggest topics you would like to learn about,
If you see something suggested you could help present, or if you have something you would like to present that would be awesome!

fyi... for the Web/Mobile sigs we're lining up a series on HTML5/CSS3!
David M.
user 19607751
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 1
Can you provide a list of previous Dev Craftsmanship sigs? It doesn't have to be complete, but it would illustrate the kinds of topics that would be well topical to this topic.
David S.
user 10476504
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 3
I'd be happy to do a presentation on improving developers search and navigation skills... something like this:

"Join David Shepherd, the coordinator of the software tools group at USCRC, as he introduces tooling and best practices in software search and navigation. He'll discuss how to dramatically reduce time lost to onboarding as well as show how a disciplined approach to bug fixing led to a 15x faster solution during one maintenance study. This webcast will be a combination of demos, simulated scenarios, and play-by-play reviews from real developer screen captures, and is recommended for every developer that works on C#, C++, or C."

Not sure if this is relevant enough... I agree that posting a list of previous talks would help.
Ian C.
user 3482864
Cary, NC
Post #: 222

I'd like to see a session that will help developers grease the skids for developing small personal projects (or demos for presentations) very quickly.

Namely, we all by now surely know the story of quickly newing-up a solution in your IDE, pulling is some Nuget packages, knocking it together with a few tests, committing it to distributed source control, and from there have it then automatically tested, built, and deployed out to the cloud.

This works across multiple IDEs: Visual Studio, Visual Studio Express, and WebMatrix. And source control options of GitHub and hosted TFS. And even the cloud options exist for Azure, AppHarbor, and probably others.

When I worked at various new media agencies (1996-2007) I had the fast part down. But becoming more enterprise-y certainly can make some processes become slow. Justin showed deployment from GitHub to AppHarbor at a SIG demo sometime last year. I have forgotten everything I learned that night.

Let's see if when we think to ourselves "I should be able to nkock something together in a couple of hours" that that means a couple of hours effort with something real to show for it, and not always the case of a couple of hours turning into a couple of weekends because fighting with CSS or deploying over and over with dropped FTP connections carry the day.

So I say everyone picks the tiniest project they can think of... a site that fetches their last five tweets and displays them on a page. That's it. But a pretty page. Maybe Bootstrap. With some nice font icons. Nuget those. Oh, and saved under source control. Which automatically deploys to the cloud. Every time it changes.

The focus here is another diversion from coding to process. But it's an important one, I think. I wonder how many great ideas died with Default.aspx or Home/Index.cshtml because things started taking too long. Maybe we can help save at least some of them.

This format would largely be without a presenter, just everyone contributing the knowledge they already have. Maybe we can convince Justin to join us.

What do you think?

PS. I should be around on the 24th after all.
Greg P.
user 4562386
Durham, NC
Post #: 2
Can you provide a list of previous Dev Craftsmanship sigs? It doesn't have to be complete, but it would illustrate the kinds of topics that would be well topical to this topic.
How's this:­