add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Triangle Code for America Message Board Triangle Code for America Discussion Forum › No Code for Durham on March 25 (But I've Got An Assignment for You!)

No Code for Durham on March 25 (But I've Got An Assignment for You!)

Andrew K.
Durham, NC
Good evening (or morning, as it were), Code for Durham,
You're receiving this message because you've RSVP'd "Yes" at some point for a Code for Durham MeetUp. We're canceling the MeetUp tonight (3/25) since Colin and I (your fearless Brigade Captains) are both out of town, however:
1) We'll meet again on Tuesday, April 8.
2) We need you to send a short, but impassioned message to saying something along the lines of:
a) Why are you interested in Code for Durham? What interests you when it comes to hacking on publicly available data for the common good?
b) Why do you want the City and County to open up datasets? (What do you envision creating with some of the potential datasets that could be available to us or what datasets would you like to see made available?)
c) Why should the city / county put funding in the budget for an Open Data position that focuses on cleaning up and releasing datasets so we can do a ton of good for our community through this Brigade?
The reason I'm asking for this is that I just met with City Council Member Steve Schewel today and he recommended that we do this. It's budget time right now and lots of different groups are advocating for various now's the time for us to show our strength as a group of do gooders that's 40-deep and growing every week!
Plus, if we get more datasets, y'all can start really having some fun (think a hack event where we get a bunch of other community members involved, etc.).
Thanks, Code Brigadiers. This is the year of Open Data in Durham.
- Andy K (
P.S. Here's a short version of mine: I helped to stand up the Code for Durham Brigade because I know the power that open data can have on our city. Whether it's visualizing crime data to better allocate resources and improve public safety or creating a map of art, trails or parks in Durham or building an AED Locator app that can save lives, I am convinced that Durham has the creative power to vault to the front of the national open data movement while maximizing tax payer dollars and bettering our community. All we need is for the City and County to fund a position dedicated to Open Data and then work together with us as citizens to release strategically valuable datasets that we can transform into helpful tools and resources for fellow citizens and guests that enhance and improve our beautiful city.