6000 Mial Plantation Road, Raleigh, NC
Let's go and skate the Neuse River Greenway trail from Mial Plantation Road in Raleigh to Sam's Branch in Clayton. The trail is newly paved, runs for 6.7 miles, and there are no road crossings, making it ideal for skating. Any style of skates are welcome.
What: A no-drop skate of the Neuse River Greenway Trail.
Where: The Neuse River Greenway Trail, starting at Mial Plantation Road in Raleigh and skating south to Sam's Branch in Clayton. And then back again.
• Here is a link to a map that very precisely shows the starting point of the trail, the route, and the ending point of the trail where we will turn around and head back.
• The Mial Plantation Road parking lot is not visible at every zoom level on Google Maps, or on Street View. Here is a link to a map that shows where the parking lot is relative to Mial Plantation Road.
• Here is a photo of the entrance to the parking lot.
• Please allow enough time to find the parking lot. Call me on[masked] if you get lost.
When: We'll meet at 12 noon and start skating by 12.15pm. If you can't arrive early, please try to gear up as quickly as possible.
Distance: 13.4 miles. The trail runs for 6.7 miles in one direction.
Ability: Since the trail follows the Neuse River it is mostly flat, but there are some hills and sharp turns, so this trail is for intermediate skaters.
• Being able to brake is essential; here's a helpful video.
• There is some great advice here, which I think everyone can learn from.
Hydration: Bring a water bottle, or hydration back pack. I recommend a 2 liter Camelbak that carries enough water for 2 hours. There are many more choices at the CamelBak and REI websites. You may wish to use an electrolyte additive too.
Bathrooms: There might be bathrooms at Mial Plantation Road, but I'm not sure as this is the first time we've started a trail skate from there. There are no bathrooms at Sam's Branch.
Weather: In the event of questionable weather we will make a go/no-go call 90 minutes before the scheduled start so please check the Meetup after 10.30am.