Triangle Inline Skate Club Meetup Message Board › Buying skate accessories online

Buying skate accessories online

Simon
user 13392992
Cary, NC
Post #: 6
I just wanted to share with everyone the two places I go to for skate related purchases:

http://www.skates.com...­
http://www.inlineware...­

Both of these places have been excellent to deal with. While I've not bought skates online, I have bought brakes, bearing cleaner and bearing lubricant.

The other place I've shopped is Amazon, where I've bought a few skate bags.
Simon
user 13392992
Cary, NC
Post #: 7
We were talking last week about cleaning your bearings, well here is the cleaner I use to remove dirt and old grease from my bearings:

BSB Speed Wash

This cleaning product is nice because it contains a basket in which you put your bearings to let them soak. I find it works well and is mostly mess-free. You can use this product multiple times to clean your bearings before you must discard it.

And here is the lubricant I use:

Kryptonics Formular One Speed Gel

This lubricant is a gel that comes in a syringe, making it easy to administer. The syringe can be twisted closed for later use, since a little goes a long way. Also the syringe makes injecting a small amount into each bearing assembly very easy, and again, mostly mess-free.

Finally, I have purchased a couple of these Rollerblade skate bags for my kids. And I have an earlier version from 1995 that is still going strong today:

Rollerblade Skate Bag

These bags are big enough for recreational skates, although you'd have to check the length if you want to store your speed skates in them. I like these bags since, not only do skates fit well, but there's room for other skating gear such as pads, a helmet, and skate tools, and even a spare set of wheels, etc. These bags are particularly good for my children since I make it their responsibility to take care of their skates, especially when we go out skating to Jellybeans.
Daniel
user 13952478
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 7
Thanks, Simon. This is good information. I will use it. My bearings are pretty decent (Twincam ILQ-9 Pros), so I want to take care of them.
Simon
user 13392992
Cary, NC
Post #: 8
Exactly, Daniel, those are expensive bearings, so taking care of them is certainly worth your while. I would suggest doing further research to make sure that you're treating them well... There seems to be some forum discussions worth checking out.

You're going to find that despite appearances, they're going to have collected a lot of grit and gunk from the trail, so maybe you should think about servicing them soon. I shall do mine again soon too. It's not hard, but it does take time and dedication! While I have my wheels off I take the time to clean out the chassis, rotate/replace my wheels, and generally give things a good cleaning. My inner boot is removable too, so I take that out and remove all the sand that finds its way in through the side vents.

I'm glad to see that you've signed up for this week's Wednesday skate. I'm keen to keep the momentum (no pun intended), and keep rolling for as long as we can before the end of the year. OK, so that second pun was intended! See you on Wednesday.
Simon
user 13392992
Cary, NC
Post #: 9
I just saw this, Daniel, which is about your bearings:

http://www.inlineplan...­

"ILQ-9 Pros don't need to be cleaned very often. One reason for this is their large retainers, which keep dirt out of the bearings. When they do need to be cleaned (such as after skating in the rain), the job is relatively easy. The single rubber seals are easily removed with a needle or knife point — and there are no nasty C-clips to remove and replace."

It's the nasty C-clips that make cleaning many types of bearings a chore. So it sounds like you're going to have an easier time than me! Again, read the forums before you start dismantling your bearings!