Twin Cities Atheists Message Board › New Meetup: The World on a Plate - Food and Rituals

New Meetup: The World on a Plate - Food and Rituals

A former member
Announcing a new Meetup for Twin Cities Atheists!

What: The World on a Plate - Food and Rituals

When: December 3, 2009 7:00 PM

Where:
Bell Museum of Natural History
10 Church St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612-624-7083

Bjorn Watland will be coordinating the TCA group that shows up to this event.

Why is food so deeply intertwined with our beliefs, celebrations and rituals? What makes food so useful for metaphors, insults, and visual symbols? Join folklorist Peter Harle from the University of Minnesota Department of Anthropology for a playful exploration of food's often surprising roles in communication, culture and identity.

Peter Harle has taught a class on religion which uses the importance of food as an introduction. While this lecture is much shorter then a 4 week course, I'm hoping he'll answer some of these questions he posed for his course introduction: "Why do we fast, kill animals, feed spirits, and throw potluck suppers in the name of religion?"

I'll be holding a sign in the lobby we can rally around. Interested people may want to go out for dinner afterward. We can choose a place as a group at the event.

Tickets:
Adults $5
Students $3
UofM Students, Faculty, Staff FREE

Museum address
10 Church Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

The Bell Museum is on the Minneapolis campus of the University of Minnesota at the southwest corner of 17th Ave. (Church St.) and University Ave. S.E. Easy access from either I-35W or I-94.

The Bell Museum is accessible for our visitors with disabilities. Restroom access, however, may be limited depending upon your needs. To request disability accommodations, or information in an alternative format, please call (612) 624-9050.

Parking
Ample parking is available just one block or less from the museum at the 4th Street Ramp or Church Street Garage.

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­