User Experience Professionals Association of Los Angeles Message Board › Exciting Director of User Experience position in Hollywood!
My client located in Hollywood is home to the largest art community on earth. Home to over 26-million registered members and over 251-million unique artist generated works of art, my client has established itself as the online capital for creative interaction where artists and art lovers are able to share, teach, and even sell the products of their digital imagination. This innovative web-based environment redefines the boundaries of art and technology and has created unparalleled opportunities for artists to promote and profit from their work. It is also a massive social network with visitor and page view totals that place my client in the top 100 of all trafficked websites on the Internet.
The have just closed a series C investment and are ready to continue to grow, change, support, empower, and enliven the community of art online. To facilitate that process, my client has created a new position. They are currently seeking a Director of User Experience to analyze, research, and create the path for their vision translation. It will report directly to the CEO and lead a core group of 4-5 UI Designers.
Here’s what my client has to offer the right person:
• A vocal, supportive community of 25+ million registered users and a visiting audience 2-3x that size including many of the world’s most highly skilled artists. The Product work you deliver will be seen and its impact will be felt. This is not for the faint of heart.
• A team of talented engineers and developers – we have the team to build, we need someone to help design, develop and manage the blueprints.
• First-rate business leaders who are dedicated to making the online community the best it can be.
• Access to research and development projects several years in gestation, waiting to be refined and launched.
• The obvious: competitive salary, equity, benefits as well as a positive and energetic company culture.
• The no-so obvious – an opportunity to impact one the of the world’s leading and largest web properties. This is the chance of a lifetime.
A strategist who can connect design strategy to business results:
• Define the UX vision.
Root it in the company’s mission, vision, and values. Build on strategic plans, operational plans, financial reports, key performance indicators, competitor- and risk evaluations, organizational charts, analyst reports, surveys.
• Analyze quantitative and qualitative user research. Synthesize customer data from many sources to identify opportunities and recommend design directions.
• Ensure UX direction is aligned with the organization’s business plan. Facilitate strategic, customer-centric decision making.
A leader who can inspire and build UX success:
• Produce a UX roadmap and create UX strategies.
• Advance the UX practice within a company. Work across business units and departments—user research, visual design, program- or product management, quality assurance, and development—to build relationships.
A leader who can grow a team:
• Lead and develop the current UI team.
• Balance conflicting interests to produce pragmatic design solutions that help implement the UX strategy.
A UX practitioner who can execute:
• Identify key goals and scenarios. Identify user requirements to shape and prioritize feature sets. Deliver inspiring conceptual work.
• Produce information architecture, task-flow diagrams, storyboards, wireframes, interactive prototypes, and creating design specifications and guidelines—all to deliver a site that meets the needs of different groups of users—and makes them stick to the site.
• Evaluate prototypes with stakeholders to see how they map to our various platform and device needs, and taking these ideas from the concept to the production stage.
• BA/BS or higher degree in Interaction design, Graphic design, Industrial design, Communication arts, Animation/film production, or equivalent experience. HCI, human factors, Cognitive science, Industrial psych, or related degree
• 7 years of experience designing in the technology industry including experience leading a design team through at least one full product development cycle.
• 4 years of experience acting in a management role.
• 2 years of experience using standard design applications and executing interaction prototypes and code using a range of prototyping and development methods (paper and software).
• A portfolio that shows a range of customer-focused or user-focused software-design solutions (and user-centered design) that drove business success.
[This portfolio likely also shows examples of information architecture designs, task-flow diagrams, storyboards, wireframes, interactive prototypes, design specifications, and guidelines.]
• Experience designing responsive products for adaptive content on web properties, from the early stages of feature planning through implementation and release.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with other disciplines, including development, quality assurance, program- or product management, business, and marketing.
• Excellent communication, presentation, and problem-solving skills.
• Strong working knowledge of all the deliverables listed above.
• Self-motivated, directed, and independent, requiring minimal supervision.
• Passion for user advocacy, quality, innovation, and world-class design.
• Ability to work through ambiguity and multiple priorities.
• A desire to work in our Hollywood office.
I am not exaggerating when I say this is the opportunity of a life time! Indeed the most exciting in LA at the moment. Interested parties will please email their resume, online portfolio, comp request and availability to talk to me at the below email address.