Urban Farmers of South Puget Sound Message Board › Hope you all have your onions and garlic in the ground!

Hope you all have your onions and garlic in the ground!

A former member
Post #: 1
Fall is a great time to plant your garlic and onions (may be a little late now, I am not sure). We have about twenty onions sprouting, and about ten garlic. The fall planting will allow the plants to jump start their root structure before going dormant in the winter, and come spring you will be one step ahead of the rest!
Kae
user 4120112
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 119
oh gosh, thanks for reminding me! i usually buy onion sets in spring. are you starting onion from seed? will they be ready next summer, or do they require an extra year?
A former member
Post #: 2
I started my sets in the end of October. Hoping they get some good root structure before it freezes and they go into hibernation! Both my onions and garlic have from a half inch to four inch green growth going at this point. This is my first yer doing a fall planting for these, so I am hoping for an early summer harvest due to the head start!
Nathan
user 14661027
Olympia, WA
Post #: 2
How does one plant the garlic and onion sets in the Pacific NW so they don't rot with the spring rains? Help!!! I've tried in containers and there they grow tops but not really the root part. Help. Thanks,