Urban Farmers of South Puget Sound Message Board › Suggestion for Raised bed garden

Suggestion for Raised bed garden

Sundar
SundarM
Olympia, WA
Post #: 1
Hello everyone,
I am new to gardening/farming. So my questions might be pretty basic.
I am putting up some raised beds in my backyard and I chose to use Douglas fir because it is cheaper than Cedar. I have few question that you guys can help me out with.
1. Do I need to put some sealant to preserve the wood from rotting in one year? Ideally i don't want to do that, but i don't want the wood to rot next year. I am hoping i could get at least a couple of years from it.
2. I am going to start the seeds indoor in a seeding tray that looks like an egg carton. Can i use regular potting mix for it or does it have to be some kind of special seeding soil mix?
3. Where can get soil for my raised beds ? any recommendations. I hear people recommend using soil, compost and peet moss in certain proportion. Do i have to do it myself or is it available premixed? I probably need only 2-3 cubic yards of soil for my beds.

Appreciate your help.
Sundar
leigh g.
user 13542348
Olympia, WA
Post #: 30
Did you buy your wood already? One way to no have to spend so much is 4 straw bales (approx. $7 each). Keep bales intact, do NOT cut the twine. Place in a square with the center open, like the straw bales are the line around the square. Dig out like 3"-4" the entire area, put the bales back. Since the bales take up room in the square now your soil fills up the center. I f soil doesn't quite fill it then that's a protected area for tender sprouts. If you put down cardboard under the bales no grass can sneak in (less weeds). Now you also have a place to sit. Soak the bales before you set out your sprouts & you'll water less when it's hot.