Vancouver Knit & Crochet Crowd Message Board › Info for Beginners!

Info for Beginners!

Lisa (+/- S.
frogandpenguin
Group Organizer
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 26
Hello Beginners!

Welcome to the group! Knitting and Crocheting are great hobbies. They're relaxing (once you get the hang of it), keep your fingers busy while watching tv, and if you take transit, you can work on your projects on the bus/skytrain. It's also a great way to spend an afternoon or evening - chatting with new friends over coffee while working on projects!

If you do not have any supplies yet, I would recommend going to Michaels and purchasing:
- one ball of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton in whatever colour you like (a solid colour is easier to learn with)
- one pair of knitting needles in a size 8 (5mm). They come in plastic, aluminum, or bamboo
- if you want to learn crochet, buy a size H hook (5mm) instead of the knitting needles

The yarn is about $2.00 per ball and the hook/needles will probably be about $3-5 for plastic or aluminum. The bamboo are more expensive.

If you don't have time to pick that up before your first meeting, let me know & I can bring spare needles/hook for you to borrow as well as a ball of yarn that you can either practice with or buy from me for $2.

For the first project for beginners, I usually recommend a dishcloth. It's an easy project, small, and gets you going with the basic stitches - and if it doesn't turn out "just right", it doesn't matter because it's just a dishcloth! And it only takes one ball of the handicrafter cotton.

Looking forward to meeting you!

~Lisa