addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Vancouver Photowalks Message Board › Changes to Vancouver Photowalks - Please Read!

Changes to Vancouver Photowalks - Please Read!

Barry J B.
user 33990212
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Hello Photowalkers

It is amazing to see how many member are a part of this group, 575 as I am typing this. So, that means that this group is officially one of the bigger groups on Meetup. While this is exciting, it come with its own challenges. It means that some people aren't able to get onto photowalks because they fill up so quickly. It means that the waiting lists often have over 30 people on them...so, what do we do!

Before I tell you what the plan is to fix this, let me first go over some of the philosophies of Vancouver Photowalks.

1. It is a group of enthusiastic photographers, walking in a particulare area and learning from other photographers and being with other photographers

2. It is about building a community of photographers

3. It is about exploring the amazing place we live in, VANCOUVER!

4. The walks are limited in their numbers so that we don't have a HUGE anonymous crowd just walking through an area and not getting to know each other.

5. It is limited in numbers so that we can find a coffee shop afterwards and compare our photos over a cup of coffee, chat about the walk, look at what we saw and didn't see and get to know other photographers.

BUT...WE have a problem, more people want to get onto the Photowalks...SO...

With effect from the next Photowalk (Queen Elizabeth Park) I am going to up the limit to 80 photographers per photowalk, but there are some proviso's:

1. If you RSVP as coming, you MUST arrive. If you can't make it PLEASE remove yourself from the list. The last two photowalks were oversubscribed i.e. 50 on the list and 25 on the waiting list. However, on the day only 35 people arrived, this is a problem. So, I will monitor this over the next 3 Photowalks and if this continues we may need to have a check in system (I am not keen to do this, but it might be necessary)

2. PLEASE, RSVP by all means, but if you cant make it, please remove yourself from the list at LEAST 1 day before the walk, if you are unsure if you can make it, rather take yourself off the list.

So here are the changes that will start with the next Photowalk:

1. All photowalks will now have a limit of 80 Photowalkers.

2. If you cannot attend the Photowalk and have RSVP'd "YES" please take yourself off the list to allow the next person on the waiting list to get onto the list.

3. I will be monitoring the attendance at each photowalk to see if there is a large drop off. So if 50 people say they will be there and only 35 arrive, I may put a check in list in place to make sure that everyone is getting an opportunity to get onto a walk.

So, there should be more opportunities to go photowalking....

Lastly, I will be announcing an exciting event in the next few days, so keep a look out!

Chat soon

Barry
A former member
Post #: 10
Sounds very fair , Barry. Other groups I'm in set up a "three strikes - you're out" policy...you fail to cancel appropriately whenever possible ( surprises do occur!) three times..you get excluded (maybe with maybe) without warning.
As to making us a group , where we get to know the members so when we are out in a
large mob there will be recognizable friends in view - I hope the logo idea bears fruit soon to assist in that.

Associated to that be could be an adjustment in member profile photo policy - to have actually be a likeness of the member. A number currently, no matter how artistic , are not showing us the person - maybe just the personality or their skill. As photographers , a profile shot should be very easy to create.

A few thoughts for your consideration.
Jan
mustangsally289
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 43
I have to agree with Neal about the profile photo. As co-organizer I don't know all the members yet and if I don't get the opportunity to chat with everyone during a walk I have know idea if people who have posted a profile picture that is not a true likeness of themselves, did in fact attend or just didn't bother to change their RSVP.

I also think it should be a requirement that a proper profile pic is posted for each member.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Confusion C.
user 3160827
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 247
Some people may not want to post an image of their faces on such a public forum though. Many people do not even look like their profile photo anyways, due to lighting, processing, change in facial hair, "Myspace angles", etc...

If this rule is implemented, I'll just post a photo of some random Asian guy, as we all look alike anyways. Hehe...
A former member
Post #: 26
I agree w/Barry, Neil & Jan smile
Maureen
user 5443136
Surrey, BC
Post #: 11
I agree with Confusion Circle. Not everyone wants to post a photo for various reasons:)
Geoff D.
user 38679372
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
Thank you Barry for your reasonable list of rules. Perhaps another we should encourage is around posting, 'less is often more!' Let us try and stick to posting 5 images.
Carol
user 11403388
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 6
I am on the fence with the photo. Our pictures are taken at random and posted all over the place these days. Meanwhile, I am on a group activity - a photowalk and might not know the person I am walking with because they 1-don't have a decent picture of themselves and 2-don't actually use their name - Confusion.
Both of these things make it difficult to create a photo community.
Due to the stress of trying to remember assorted names I have opted to just use my own name and picture.
And lastly - I find it very difficult to go on a photowalk with 80 people. 20 or 30 would be enough. For example, the last one had a fisherman we were all taking pictures of. He was the only action in town. But he was out for the day fishing and did not want to be the model for a 20 or 30 photographers. At one time he had about 10 cameras trained on him. So with 80 people we would quickly wear out our welcome unless there was a huge area and many different points of interest.
A former member
Post #: 14
At the very least we should be able identify each as a member of the group. I have passed two notes to Barry with praise and suggestions re logo gear but have yet to see feedback. Once we see proud member in the field at meetup we can chat , compare and even team up for a shot or fifty. Teams of 2-4 not as much a threat to accidental models! We make friends behind and in front lens maybe. At the appointed show and tell there may be a wider variety as well, if it's not 30 all bunched together.
Let's get those logo tee-shirts, golf shirts, sweats, buttons, old style press badges for one's hat, armbands, bag tags, whatever .
Jan
mustangsally289
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 44
Carol, with respect to the group sizes, I agree with you, having a group of 80 people on a photowalk is crazy.

As one of the organizers I'd like to see the walks repeated a bit more often. As an example, with the Architecture walk, Kelly and I had a wonderful turnout, but we both really didn't feel comfortable having the group size at 80. Even 50 was too big. We had around 30 turn out, I think...hard to tell as I can't put faces to some of the names. We knew that we would not get the full 50 out anyway.

I know I'd be willing to repost the same walk again. What I would suggest to the organizers is to consider decreasing the size of the walk group and posting the walk on two separate weekends i.e. at the beginning of a month and then again near the end or beginning of the following month, keeping the initial size of the group to around 30 people. I'm sure if the original organizer couldn't actually accompany both walk dates, they could find another organizer to step in. Again, just a suggestion.

It would also be nice to hear from the group as a whole on the types of walks they might like to do i.e. is there a preference to stay in Vancouver? Would they be willing to pay a fee to enter a garden (such as VanDusen or one similar)? How are would they be willing to travel? As an example in April / May a trip out to the valley to see the tulip fields and do some photography around Chilliwack.

Again, as one of the organizers I'd love to hear what people think of making the groups smaller and the walks repeated more often; and expanding farther afield or suggestions for other types of walks.

Great discussion though. Thanks for offering your opinions and thoughts.

Jan