This is a Vancouver Urban Sketchers group based on urbansketchers.org which is an international nonprofit organization to bring urban sketchers from all over the world together in real life and online.
- All levels of experience (yes, that includes none!) are welcome.
- No judgment, no criticism. We only give positive feedback, tips and encouragement. Every drawing is unique.
- This is not a class, but we can learn from one another.
- NEW as of October 2014: With the amazing growth of this group, we are getting more and more requests by commercial entities who hope to profit from our community of members. However, our philosophy is to stay free of commercial interests unless they are fee-based (or free) sketching workshops or community-based sketching events. For example, do not contact us if: a) you are a large corporation needing sketchers in the backdrop of your video, b) are looking for volunteer graphic designers, c) are hoping to promote your printing/framing/yoga/dog food business, d) are hoping to promote an event that has nothing to do with sketching, or e) are doing a study that requires you to interview our members.
The concept for this group is simple: We get together outdoors or in coffee shops to sketch our city and surroundings together. You don't need any drawing background, just an interest in drawing your environment. It's very low-key and supportive. We can then share any drawings we want on flickr, here on Meetup, and on a Vancouver Urban Sketchers blog that we are hoping to set up.
The Urban Sketchers manifesto is quoted below. It is based on a tradition called "reportage drawing", and if you create sketches based on it, you can post them on the Urban Sketchers flickr group or related blogs. So you may use this as a guide, but it is not a requirement to participate in this group — any kind of drawing, whether it's based on what you see or interpretations thereof or completely abstracted experiments are welcome here.
Urban Sketchers Manifesto (optional guidelines for this group):
- We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
- Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
- Our drawings are a record of time and place.
- We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
- We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
- We support each other and draw together.
- We share our drawings online.
- We show the world, one drawing at a time.
April 1, 2014: Please note, we now charge a minimum suggested annual fee of $5. You only have to pay this when you come to your second meetup. If you never participate, no fee, of course. We encourage members who post paid workshops to pay a bit more. The suggested annual fee is $30. All paid workshops must be approved by an organizer before they are posted.
Capture dance gestures at VIDF
Emily Carr University of Art and Design
1399 Johnston Street, Vancouver, BC
Let's meet in the covered walkway that runs south-north in the middle of the Emily Carr University North Building. If it is not raining, we can then walk over to the...
Sigrid (The Sketchmeister)
May & Lorne Brown Park
801 Beach Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Vancouver, BC
This quiet little park neighbours a constructions site that is going to be transforming into "Vancouver House": http://vancouverhouse.ca . See it before it shines! More...
Lea (Social Media Coordinator)
Needs a location
Vancouver Urban Sketchers is hosting the 5th Annual West Coast Urban Sketchers Sketch Crawl.
Marking the days here on Meetup. It's...
Lea (Social Media Coordinator)
9h ago · 10:30 AM
There is always lots to draw at Lonsdale Quay - buildings, boats, construction, docks, city views, people, bright shiny things, dull grey things, whatever you like.... Learn more
March 10 · 11:45 AM
Capture dance gestures at the VIDF
This is an enticing side show to the main events; cutting edge and exciting contemporary dance. Let's meet in the Roundhouse Community Centre Exhibition Hall, in... Learn more
March 4 · 3:00 PM
Saturday March 4, 2017, 3pm, Pats Pub & Brewhouse, 403 East Hastings
This is drawing jazz musicians, The Steve Holy 6tet, who will be playing at Pats Pub starting at 3pm. There is no cover charge but please buy a beer (or two?) and a... Learn more
February 26 · 12:00 PM
Return flight to YVR
By popular demand, by which I mean Ray, we're on final approach to land once again at the world's best airport, YVR. A popular subject to sketch last time out was the... Learn more
February 5 · 6:00 PM
Dr. Sketchy’s at Emerald Supper Club: Love Me Do
From the Dr. Sketchy website: "Bring your pencils and sketchbooks! Dr. Sketchy’s Anti Art School is what happens when a simple question is asked — why can't figure... Learn more
See all past Meetups