Vancouver Writers Group Message Board › Ideas from our brainstorming session- The way forward!

Ideas from our brainstorming session- The way forward!

Silvia X.
user 10272891
Vancouver, BC
Hi all,

As you probably know, some of us met last Saturday to brainstorm ideas for the future of this group. It was great that so many of you were able to make it and share your thoughts on how this community could be organised to best support each other as writers.

We discussed various ideas, such as having genre-specific groups for things like poetry and screenplay writing, and we also discussed embarking on small projects together; one idea was to create a Vanwriters pod-cast, using members`own work. Some of us wanted to find people to form a small group that meets regularly for in depth writing feedback. We also decided that it`d be fun to have a purely social, open meeting now and again in order to just meet other writers and talk writers`talk. :)

So here`s what I`m thinking in terms of next steps:

If anyone would be interested in leading a genre-specific, or in some way themed group, please email me with a short description of your interest and what you`re looking for in terms of members. With the Meetup interface, it`s very easy to add people as assistant organisers so that they can schedule meetups and connect with writers with similar interests.

As I mentioned on Saturday, I`m personally very interested in the pod-cast idea, and I´d be very happy to hear from people who´d like to contribute to a possible joint project, either as content writers, or as voice actors or presenters.

For those of you who have expressed an interest in joining the Wednesday group, I will contact you directly in the next few days. Please note that the group is open throughout the year, but we require a commitment to attending regularly and joining is subject to spaces being available.

In terms of the social aspect of it, I will try to schedule an open, social meetup once a month or so. It´s always great to meet new writers and exchange ideas. I´d also be open to anyone organising a one off event, so please just let me know if you have a great idea for what we could all do together.

Hope everyone´s having a great day, and let me know if you have some new ideas or any questions. Many thanks!

Sylvia

Daniel
user 74031052
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
Hi there. A new member here. I think the podcast idea is a great way to get the word out there. I've been a fan of quite a few podcasts and could send them an email or two for advice on how to start one up.
Also, is there a group specifically for those trying to write novels? I have nothing against poetry but it can be very disconcerting to get into a writing club and find out everyone brought poems when you carried over a manuscript. If not, I could try my hand at running that.
Silvia X.
user 10272891
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 6
Hi Daniel,

If you're interested we have a general writing group that runs alternate Wednesdays. Poets are in the minority there, in fact, I don't think right now we have any members who only do poetry. Send me an email if you're interested in joining us! About the pod-cast thing, I'm going to be scheduling our first meeting for the New Year. Great to hear you'd like to help with that, and welcome to the group!