Vegan Long Island Message Board › Yes, there is Arsenic in the Rice, too.

Yes, there is Arsenic in the Rice, too.

Hilly
hillyadams
Manorville, NY
Post #: 73
In case you haven't already heard about it by now, these are The Facts:

There have been reports of high levels of Arsenic in Rice for years, but the public was only ready to hear about it this year.

Although buying Organic isn't enough, in this situation, it's not hopeless. There are steps we can take to source, choose and cook rice that minimize our intake of arsenic until government agencies, food growers and product manufacturers get their acts together.

Before you rush out to Target - as I nearly did - to buy the AF brand of Organic Basmati, however, take a moment to read the full report from Consumers Union, which includes measurements for lead and cadmium, too. Turns out that the same Basmati from India that is low in arsenic tested extraordinarily high in those other toxins!

Don't give up hope, though. Remember that there are other grains available. For example, Quinoa, Amaranth, Millet and Teff can be purchased as whole grains or flours. You can even find garbanzo beans (chickpea) as a flour. Whatever you choose, I still say: "Buy Organic" as much as possible.

Most of all, ROTATE your diet! Think seasonally and switch it up!