Vegan Long Island Message Board › VLI Notes & News - January 16, 2013

VLI Notes & News - January 16, 2013

Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 306
Greetings, Vegan Long Island members—all 776 of you! (That's about 70 new members in 2 months!)

How's 2013 going? Here are a few notes and news items:

1. Breaking news: I learned yesterday that Jay Astafa's dad, Andy, who recently sold the 3 Brothers Pizza Cafe in Rockville Centre, is opening another pizza cafe in Farmingdale! Jay Astafa will be working on his NYC location for his new restaurant, but he will create the vegan menu and train everyone at the Farmingdale location. They anticipate opening mid-February to early March, 2013. Here's the new Facebook page. Please like and share.

2. Announcing a new meetup group which may be of interest to VLIers: The Organic Community - NY/NJ. Its co-organizer, Ken Lonyai (also a VLI member) explains that the group is focused on organic foods as an important way to protect not only to our own well-being, but also the planet and other creatures who inhabit it. You can read more about it & sign up at their new meetup page.

3. If you're of Christian faith, the CVA (Christian Vegetarian Association) has resources­ that may be of interest. Eating Mercifully is a short (7:40) video with a Christian perspective, made by the Humane Society, that is excellent for sharing. And here's a video by Jonathan Safran Foer to share with those who observe Jewish dietary laws (caution: it's very graphic). The short version (< 5 min) is here­, long version is here­.

4. For the nontheists among us: VLI member Ted Brancu, who is also part of the Long Island Atheists Meetup, has organized an atheist comedy-plus-potluck evening, and since it will be 100% vegan, he suggested cross-posting it at VLI, too. You can learn more and RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Long-Island/events/99876092/­

5. Does anyone know if there's an all-vegan Indian restaurant in Hicksville? I know there are all-vegetarian ones, but the other day I got an unconfirmed report of an all-vegan one... If you have any info, please don't reply to this message. Reply privately to me, by pasting "jrg123@optonline.net" into the To: field.

6. I want to plug this worthy organization: HEART — Humane Education Advocates Reaching Teachers. If you haven't heard about Humane Education yet, you can learn more at HEART's website, or at IHE's website (Institute for Humane Education). HEART is an organization that teaches kids about human rights, animal protection, and environmental ethics. HEART currently has staff working in the greater NYC area, Chicago, Indianapolis, and Portland. If you want to help, you can make a donation here­.

7. Registration is now open for the Animal Rights 2013 National Conference in Washington, DC, June 27-30. If you register before February 11th, the cost is $100.

One last thing—I am thrilled to see this group growing by leaps and bounds, and I want to get more events on the calendar to meet the demand of this growing group! That means I need to recruit additional event organizers. If you're up for organizing a few (say, four) events a year, please contact me. We need to get more Nassau events happening, more outdoor events, more potlucks... and I need your help. Here is some guidance for prospective organizers—check it out, and email me if you're ready to volunteer!
Dana
user 39243832
Bellmore, NY
Post #: 4
I'm so excited to hear that 3 Brothers will be re-opening with vegan food. (Unfortunately, it won't be so close to my house anymore). And best wishes to Jay.

Thanks, Jennifer, for the info about HEART. I registered for their workshop in Cold Spring Harbor. It is a one day workshop on Saturday Feb 9th. If anyone else is attending please let me know.

Also, I just registered for the Animal Rights 2013 National Conference in Washington DC. in June. I am really looking forward to this. Again, if anyone else is going, please let me know.

Take care,
Dana
A former member
Post #: 31
Dana,
I heard that there are new owners of the 3 Brothers in Rockville Centre. I went there and the food was great. They have vegan and non vegan, however there is so much vegan food there. I had the cannolis/zepoles were incredible. I had rigatoni ala vodka and it was good. The bread was the best bread I have ever had.

Does anyone on here have a recipe for white miso? I really dont know what to do with it. I was going to make tofu tonight, but was wondering if there is a way to add miso?

Thanks,
Mary
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 308
Mary, you're right—thanks for pointing out that 3BRC (3 Brothers Rockville Centre) does still offer vegan fare under the new ownership there!

As for recipes, vegweb.com is a great site. I just searched there for "white miso" and got 8 pages of results. Here they are: http://vegweb.com/sea...­

Mary A.
livingstoned
Lindenhurst, NY
Post #: 17
i am thrilled to learn about 3 brothers coming to farmingdale. thanks for letting us know and thank you, JAY!