Rhode Island Vegetarian and Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › Share Your Favorite Vegetarian Recipes!

Share Your Favorite Vegetarian Recipes!

A former member
Post #: 15
Got a vegetarian recipe that's sure to please?

POST IT HERE! WE WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!
A former member
Post #: 1
I can't believe no-one's posted anything here yet! Anyway, my favorite recipe is this one for vegan pancakes:

5-minute vegan pancakes!

1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup non-dairy milk (soy, rice, almond...)
2 tbsp veg. oil

Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. Mix. Cook!

TIPS:

My girlfriend & I make these all the time, so we try lots of variations. Different flours are always fun, definitely stick w/ whole wheat: graham flour is good if you can find it. Try substituting a bit of amaranth flour or almond meal too. For the oil we often use walnut oil.

Frozen fruit (e.g. raspberries or blueberries) or bananas are always fun to add too! Or you can make a compote by cooking some frozen fruit with a bit of agave nectar on the stove or in the microwave.

If you're in a pinch and don't have any non-dairy milk water works well also (just use a little less than a cup).
A former member
Post #: 33
Thank you Chris!

(I never realized there were so many different types of flours.)

Personally, I love banana pancakes... and my daughter makes me add a few chocolate chips!

A former member
Post #: 2
This is great for sandwiches!
Pia

Eggplant-Walnut Pate
Traditional patés are often made from high-fat meats and liver. They can be delicious and quite elegant, but less than nutritious. This vegetarian version is sophisticated, filled with flavor, and healthful. Enjoy it on a special occasion or as an everyday spread with whole-grain crackers.
Servings
Prep Time
10 min

Ingredients
1 large eggplant
1 cup California walnut pieces
2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, peeled, grated and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Salt and hot pepper sauce to taste
Directions
Preheat oven to 450°F. Pierce the eggplant with a fork in several places and bake until very soft, about 45 minutes.
While the eggplant is baking, grind the walnuts in a food processor until very fine, and set aside.
Remove the eggplant from oven, slash to let steam escape, drain off any liquid, and scrape the pulp into a food processor with the ginger root, garlic and olive oil. Process until smooth.
Add the ground walnuts and allspice, and process until smooth.
Season to taste with the salt, and hot pepper sauce. Spoon into a small loaf dish and chill several hours or until firm.

Kevin
user 7947968
Group Organizer
Coventry, RI
Post #: 6
Kevin
user 7947968
Group Organizer
Coventry, RI
Post #: 7
Kevin’s Almost World Famous Vegan
Yields 2 quarts

•1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin seed
•1/3 Cup Olive Oil
•2 Cups Onions, Finely Chopped
•¾ Cup Celery, Chopped
•1 Cup Green Peppers, Chopped
•½ Cup Carrots, Chopped
•1 Tbsp. Garlic, Minced
•2 Cups Mushrooms, Chopped
•¼ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
•2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
•¾ tsp. Dried Oregano
•2 tsp. Salt
•½ tsp. Pepper
•2 cups Tomato Juice or Spaghetti Sauce
•¾ Cup Bulgur Wheat
•2 cups Tomatoes, Chopped
•2 Cups Kidney Beans, Undrained or Black beans, Undrained
•½ tsp. Tabasco
•2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
•1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
•¼ Cup Vegetable Broth or Water
•2 Tbsp. Canned Chopped Green Chilies

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Over high heat, add the onions, celery, green peppers, carrots, garlic, mushrooms, spices, salt, and pepper.

Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.
If too thick, the chili can be thinned with additional tomato juice.

To serve, turn this Chili into a full meal by serving with cornbread and a green salad.
A former member
Here is a recipe I use all the time. It sounds strange but works and unlike flour waffles one isn’t hungry a couple hours later! One quarter of the recipe provides as much protein as three strips of bacon together with one medium egg.

Soy Oat Waffles
2-3T whole flaxseed, ground
1cup soaked soybeans (1/2c dry)
1/2t salt
1T sugar
2t cinnamon or other flavoring (optional)
2 1/3c water
1 1/2c rolled oats

Soak soybeans several hours or overnight. Drain.
Grind the flaxseed in a blender. Combine all ingredients. Blend. Bake in hot waffle iron 8 minutes. Sections may be reheated in waffle iron, toaster or microwave. Serves 4-6. I top mine with applesauce.

This is my adaptation of a recipe from The Oats, Peas, Beans and Barley Cookbook. The original used 1T oil instead of flaxseed, no cinnamon and 2 1/4c water. Other legumes work well too.
A former member
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

I got this recipe from the Feb '09 Vegetarian Times. It is excellent - even my non-veg husband likes it. I'm too lazy to type in the recipe, so here's a link to it w/ pics:
http://www.tofuandcup...­
There is a typo in the ingrediants: use 1 1/2 c reduced-fat pepper jack cheese. I used dubliner sharp & it turned out fine. I didn't have frozen spinach, so I used fresh (better I think). The only thing I would add to the recipe is to top the peppers with Panko bread crumbs. They really are delicious.
A former member
Post #: 3
The first time I made this recipe I made the mistake of adding 1 lb of mushrooms not 4 oz. It came out delicious though so I have continued to use 1 lb of mushrooms!

Bean Burger

Olive Oil
1 onion, diced
1 glarlic clove, chopped fine
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
4 oz white mushrooms, finely chopped
1 can black beans
2 tbsp chopped parsley
S&P
Hamburger buns
Ketchup
mustard

Sautee, onions, garlic in oil. Add spices, mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms done..
Meanwhile mash beans well.
Add mushrooms to beans and mix well.
Preheat broiler to medium high. Shape into patties. Cook under broiler for 4-5 minutes each side.

A former member
Post #: 11
Bibimbap

I make this myself but don't use a recipe, but I found a vegan recipe online so you have an idea. All you really need is the gochujang, rice, and whatever veggies you have on hand(is a good dish to use up leftovers). It all gets mixed up so it doesn't have to be pretty if you are making it for yourself. I have used leftover salad fixings to make this, just had to make the rice.