Announcing a new Meetup for MIT/Stanford Venture Lab (VLAB)!
What: [VLAB] The Real Time Web : Imperative or Insanity?
When: Tuesday, April 20,[masked]:00 PM
Price: $35.00 per person
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Bishop Auditorium, Arbuckle Lounge 518 Memorial Way
Stanford, CA 94305
The cost of creating, sharing and distributing data in real time has become essentially zero, leading to an explosion of user generated content. Currently, every minute,
* 500,000 pieces of content are shared on Facebook,
* 70,000 bit.ly links are clicked,
* 25,000 messages are created on Twitter,
* 1,000 blog posts go live, and
* 20 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube.
Over the last decades, the amount of data created by individuals has doubled every 1.5 to 2 years. Technologies like pubsubhubbub and xmpp are making it easier to push that firehose of data out to users, with only a millisecond of latency from thought and distribution. But how do we effectively use that data to make decisions that drive value for consumers and businesses? How much is too much to handle? And what's the opportunity for the entrepreneur?
In this event, we engage with entrepreneurs, investors, and established players to separate reality from hype, and explore the following questions:
* Is real-time technology just for pesky marketers and profit-hungry wall street traders, or is there something in there for the rest of us?
* Where and how can real-time data help us make better decisions?
* How can we enable users to effectively digest and manage the ever-increasing torrents of information?
* What are the opportunities and possible new business models?
* What psychological principles drive the addiction of ever changing, seemingly relevant real time data?
* And what's the real time entrepreneur to do about it?
Andreas Weigend is leading the Social Data Revolution (Stanford MS&E 237 Sp2010). He was the Chief Scientist of Amazon.com PANELISTS:
* Todd Levy, Co-founder and Head of Product and Engineering, Bit.ly
* Jan Pedersen, Chief Scientist for Core Search, Microsoft MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED
Learn more here:http://www.meetup.com/VentureLab/calendar/13123001/