Here's a condensed version of the most popular procedures for conducting outdoor ghost hunts:
Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:11 PM
Step by Step Procedures
- Have everyone meet near the location and decide who will work each piece of equipment and divide into teams if necessary. Pick a person or leader that will talk to anyone who comes in contact with the group (i.e. Police, Reporters, Priests, Alien Visitors, Park Rangers, etc.)
- Enter the site and either privately or as a group ask for blessing or protection for the duration of the hunt. Or for longer than that if you are enjoying your life so far. You can use this time to put yourself in a positive frame of mind and/or to take a precautionary pee. It does not have to be a religious thing so everyone can do this in some way. I do encourage everyone to take the 10 seconds this takes and do this. What can it hurt? It's better to be safe than sorry. Many experienced groups believe that there are evil spirits in many areas such as cemeteries and by saying a 10 second prayer or making sure you are in a positive frame of mind you can safely go about your business without worrying about them. These may be evil spirits, but they are grotesquely incompetent evil spirits who can be defeated by thinking positive. An experienced demonologist will tell you that by doing this in the name of God or Brahma or Coyote or Odin or Amaterasu Omikami or Chuck Norris or whatever good deity you worship, you will keep any non human spirits at bay since they have to leave you alone when told so in this manner. Spirits believe in all gods, even the extremely silly ones, and are very afraid of them.
- Walk around the area to get a feel for the surroundings and allow the spirits to get a feel for you. If you are especially concerned about putting the spirits at ease, take off your clothes. Spirits cannot wear clothes and are nervous around people who can. Do this for about 20 minutes. Log in your start time and weather conditions and any other relevant information. You can also begin to set up any stationary equipment like camera on tripods or motion detectors. Make note of any areas that may cause you to get false readings or false positive pictures.
- Get some pictures and recordings. Be sure to note anything unusual that happens especially meter and temperature readings, visual sightings and strange sounds. Also make notes of any feelings or emotions you feel that may be odd or out of place. You can compare notes after the hunt and look for similarities in readings and feeling in certain areas or at certain times.
- Whether you stake out a spot or you walk around try to give everyone the opportunity to try everything and be everywhere. This keeps every one fresh and at attention. Rotate a few times during the investigation.
- Ask the human spirits here not to follow you home and to remain here when you are done. Tell the others they must remain here and STAY here in the name of God or Jesus Christ or Baal or the Great Spirit or Ishtar or L. Ron Hubbard or Vishnu or Osiris (or other good deities). Again this takes 4 or 7 seconds, it's simple and it can save you some problems down the road. If we are wrong about these prayers at the beginning and end of the hunt and they are not necessary then you wasted 14 or 17 seconds of your time. If we are right about them, you saved yourself from a lot of problems and grief.