|Sent on:||Tuesday, February 7, 2012 9:00 PM|
Join us this Saturday, Feb 11, for an up-to-13.5-mile (2.6 blisters, or moderate), out-and-back hike on the Mt Vernon Hiker-Biker Trail. We’ll walk (at your own pace) along the Potomac River, between Mt. Vernon and Dyke Marsh, with a loop through Fort Hunt Park. In my humble opinion, this is THE most beautiful H/B Trail in the DC area and, yes, I’m sure that George walked around the area. This is one in a series of hikes that may be used for training for the One Day Hike (April 28, but full at this time), or just to practice walking and get to know the DC area.
Bring a bag lunch or snacks, and stuff to drink. The forecast is for chilly (high 30’s), but nice, so dress (or pants) warmly. We’ll meet at 9 am at north end of Mount Vernon’s east parking lot. That’s near the entrance to GW’s estate at the southern end of the aptly named GW Memorial Pkwy. Here is a Google link: http://tinyurl.com/6t3hk4t. You can see the parking lots on the satellite view. If you need a ride, let me know—I can do a pick-up from the Grosvenor Metro Kiss & Ride at 7:45 am (only if you let me know). Leaders are myself and Christine Ford.
Pix from last weekend (we dodged the weather!):
Upcoming hikes (haven’t updated the website yet, but I will):
- Sat, Mar 10, NW Branch & Sligo Creek Trails, 15/21 miles (difficult)
- Sat, Mar 17, Parade of Parks, 14/21 miles (difficult)
- Sat, Mar 24, Slow Marathon (NoVa), 17/27 miles (difficult/very difficult)
- Sun, Apr 1, Historic Georgetown, 5 miles (easy) ( How did that get in here?)
- Sat, Apr 14, Pt of Rocks to Harpers Ferry & back, 14 to 36 miles (difficult to mucho difficult)
- Sat, Apr 28, One Day Hike, 31/62 miles (very difficult to borderline nuts)
I know I can, I know I can. It’s all a bit daunting, but we’ll make it.