align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Wedeln Ski and Outdoors Club Message Board › GPS/trail app for hiking and skiing?

GPS/trail app for hiking and skiing?

Tom L.
tomrider
Somerville, MA
Post #: 188
Does anyone use a GPS app to track hikes or skiing I use "GPS kit" on iPhone (for $10). It is a great general purpose GPS with lots of tools and stats, only drawbacks are it costs $ and does not usually list the actual trail - just your route. Last Winter I played around with a couple of GPS ski map apps but could not settle on a good one. Does anyone have any recommendation or reviews? Tell the group what you use. It would be great if we can standardize on an app for this winter - some apps allow you to watch your friends progress down ski trails and track routes.
Ken D.
user 4332297
Arlington, MA
Post #: 110
Hi Tom,

Great discussion! I've been using two apps on my GPS-enabled cell phone, an HTC Galaxy, which runs v 2.3 Android.

One is Maprika. This app allows you to download a map, whether realistic, or abstract, to plot your position. I've used it on Monadnock, the Fells, and in Franconia Notch on the ridge loop trail. It also supposedly works on the maps that ski resorts publish. In order to use it, you have to first download the map, then set up anchor points to correlate the GPS coordinates with locations on the map. There are prepackaged maps for you, so you don't need to do this for many of the popular ski resorts. Apparently, it's pretty good pointing out which ski trail you're on, and will also show you where your friends are, if on the same mountain. But, I haven't used it this way.

The other app I like to use a kit is Runkeeper. It's great if you want to keep track of the path you've taken. Maps aren't part of the app, since it just keeps a log of your activity. But, it'll tell you how fast you're going or how high in altitude you've been. The log can be kept online, which can then be used to help your training and maybe to impress your friends.

I'm sure there are a ton of apps out there.

But, unfortunately it looks like apps on the Android are not multitasking, so I can't seem to run two or more apps at the same time.

Ken