addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

West Des Moines Dog Walking Club Message Board › German Shepherd died from heat in Urbandale - tell the county to seek jail time

German Shepherd died from heat in Urbandale - tell the county to seek jail time

A former member
Post #: 1
I will be at Raccoon River Dog Park collecting signatures Thursday and Friday 4:30pm - 6pm Please consider joining or a different time.

--

German Shepherd died from heat in Urbandale - tell the county to seek jail time

18 year old Luis Lara Leyva of Urbandale allowed his dog to die from the heat this summer, leaving the dog outside without water. Luis was arrested on June 29. The offense is punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine.

The expectation is no jail time will be sought or served, there will probably be a plea deal with a small fine.

If you think animal abuse should be dealt with more severely, please call prosecuting attorney Kevin Hathaway, explain if you are a resident of Polk County, and tell him you want Luis to go to jail.

I just called, and Mr. Hathaway was courteous but not too interested.

Prosecuting attorney Kevin Hathaway can be reached at 515-286-3737. His boss, Polk County Attorney John Sarcone, can be reached at 515-286-3737.

This case reminds me a lot of Tucker, who arrived severely malnourished, and now is handsome and kind.

In relation to animal abuse, this treatment by people is why some dogs do turn on people and other pets. Those dogs are summarily killed. It is time to deal with the cause of the problem of animal abuse.

http://whotv.com/2012...­

A copy of the petition can be downloaded:

http://iowapetadoptio...­

Thanks!
Pam
pbwhitney
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 113
A petition was sent around last night at DMOTC's monthly club meeting, so I think about everyone there signed it. The fact sheet they had said the dog was left with a "little water" so does anyone have the actual facts about that? I was also told the dog was in a wire crate, but I don't know if that is true or not. It'll be interesting to see if the petition helps! That doesn't sound too encouraging if Hathaway wasn't interested!
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Pam -

Thanks!

The petition organizer is Lynn and her e-mail is lstfrancis1@gmail.com

She has a facebook page at http://www.facebook.c...­

I would like more information also.

I have sent a couple e-mails but have not heard back yet.

Thanks, Erich
A former member
Post #: 4
Letter to Polk County Attorney

Today I sent the following letter to both Polk County Attorney John Sarcone and assistant attorney Kevin Hathaway, who is prosecuting the case. Time is short. The case number is 05771URSTA0500837 URBANDALE VS LEYVA, LUIS if anyone has access to the docket.

The mailing address for both is:
Midland Building
206 6th Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Fax: 515-286-3428
Phone: 515-286-3737

Re: 05771URSTA0500837 URBANDALE VS LEYVA, LUIS

Dear Mr. Hathaway:

I am writing in regards to the prosecution by your office of Luis Lara-Leyva, who allowed a dog to die through failure to provide water during this summer's heat wave.

When an abused animal harms a person, the pet is summarily killed. Your office should punish people who create dangerous dogs.

Please either seek jail time or at least delay a plea agreement until more public sentiment can be gathered.

Many people are currently collecting signatures to show our support for strong prosecution of this case.
Pam
pbwhitney
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 114
I'm a little confused by the second paragraph. Don't you want the owner punished for killing his dog instead creating a dangerous dog?
A former member
Post #: 5
I hope he understands. You should feel free to write whatever makes sense to you.