add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

WESTCHESTER GEEKS Message Board › Marvel Heroic - Start Here

Marvel Heroic - Start Here

A former member
Post #: 7
So you're interested in playing Marvel Heroic?
Then this is where you need to start.

Marvel Heroic is a Margaret Weis production which has sadly been discontinued. However, against MW's prediction, Marvel Heroic has turned out to be a hugely successful RPG built on the "Cortex System." This game focuses heavily upon creative role-playing and action scenes which are fast and furious without all the intricacies of an overly complicated rules set. This game is easy to learn and fun to master, so check out the guides, print up a character datafile, and stop by an upcoming Meetup that features Marvel Heroic!

Basic Game Guides:
To prepare for your first game, you can start by downloading the Marvel Heroic Hero Cheat Sheet, which will give you a basic rundown of how the game mechanics work. If you'd like a little more information, you can also read this basic guide that I put together.

If you're more enthusiastic about the cortex system and the Marvel Heroic RPG, stop by Modern Myths in Mamaroneck, NY, to grab a copy of the basic rulebook. In it you'll find an excellent guide to the game, along with a nice collection of full-color datafiles.

Choose a Character: Datafiles

Marvel Heroic character sheets are known as "datafiles", and in them you'll find everything you need to know to play your hero at their maximum effectiveness. You can find full-color datafiles in any of the published rulebooks, but you can also scour the internet and find hundreds more.

Take a look at the following list of available character datafiles. Before coming to a Marvel Heroic meetup, make sure to pick out two or three and have them with you, just in case somebody else has chosen similar characters.

Available Characters: as of July 17
Armor – Hisako Ichiki, member of the X-Men, generates a psionic suit of body armor.
Colossus – Russian farmboy with godlike durability and strength. The ultimate protector.
Cyclops – Tactical genius X-Man who shoots optic beams and absorbs energy attacks.
Beast - Superhuman strength and speed with a genius mind. Just ignore the blue fur.
Cable - The teleporting super soldier, armed with his guns and cybernetic implants.
Cloak - A kid from Boston who can suck out your life force and feed your soul to a Demon. How quaint.
Dagger - She can heal, she can illuminate, she can shoot you in the face with daggers of light.
Daredevil - Blind defense attorney by day, crime fighting master acrobat without fear by night.
Doctor Strange - The Supreme Sorcerer admired even by the gods, retired neurosurgeon.
Emma Frost – Mutant telepath and once super villain, she can turn herself into diamond.
Gambit - The mutant thief from New Orleans, makes things explode with energy.
Hawkeye - Clint Barton: combat master, unmatched marksman, completely human.
Iceman - A founding X-Man, a professional trickster, a master of ice.
Moon Knight – The darker version of Batman, Moon Knight is Marvel’s greatest detective.
Mystique- This villainous, shape shifting ally to the X-Men, is a covert master in blue skin.
The Navigator - Born of another world, flies a spaceship, lays down the hurt better than any.
Nightcrawler - Once a circus freak, now an X-man, this swashbuckling teleporter sure can BAMF!
Nova – Supersonic flight, superhuman strength, and unmatched teleportation abilities.
Pete Wisdom – Pete absorbs ambient heat and solar radiation, then turns it on his enemies.
The Punisher – The man with every gun, this former marine is a non-stop killing machine.
Quicksilver – Pietro Maximoff, the man with godlike reflexes and speed.
Rogue – Once she’s got her hands on you, you’re as good as dead.
ROM – A virtually unstoppable cyborg armed with an energy weapon that vaporizes Dire Wraiths, his sworn enemy.
Sentry – Everything Superman wished he could be, except for the homicidal alter ego.
Silver Samurai – The mutant samurai who surrounds his katana with a tachyon field so it can cut through anything.
Storm – She brings tornadoes to a knife fight and throws lightning in your face.
WolverineWolv­erine – He’s the best there is at what he does, and what he does isn’t very nice.

This list is just a fraction of the total number of datafiles you can dig up on the internet. If there's a character you'd like to bring to the table who isn't on this, let me know -- I might just have their datafile.
A former member
Post #: 8
Creating Your Own Superhero:
Marvel Heroic has a couple ways that you can create your own superhero datafile, however I would highly recommend you not create a new character for your first time playing. You probably have some great ideas brewing for a hero you'd like to create, but before you go writing up your own datafile you should learn how the core mechanics work to best enjoy your homemade character. The cortex system works best when you strike a precarious balance with your character, using SFX and Limits to tone-down or augment power sets. Without a basic understanding of how a datafile works, you might end up with a superhero you hadn't intended to make in the first place.

That said, I will be happy to help anybody in creating their own superhero datafile. If you've got an idea, I say we get it in the game. It will take a few hours to dial in the perfect design for your ideal hero, but anything is possible in this rich universe.
White Plains, NY
Post #: 160
That's a great write-up. Thanks!

It might be good to also provide a link to the meetup related to the Marvel Heroic game so that people can link back and forth from there to here and here to there easily.

Thanks again, Brendan. This looks great. :)
user 5692431
Yonkers, NY
Post #: 8
I'm currently playing in another Marvel Heroic campaign, but I would consider joining a second. Do you have the specifics listed somewhere (when, where, how often)? Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 11
This thread is in reference to an upcoming event, "­Let's Play An RPG", which is being hosted this weekend at Modern Myths. The event host, Jonathan, has proposed four different games that we may try during the Meetup and Marvel Heroic was one of them.

That said, I can't guarantee we'll play this weekend as we might get too obsessed with another game that afternoon. However, I am a big fan of the Cortex system and am sure there will be other opportunities to play in the future. Sign up for the event if you'd like, knowing that it's going to be a beginner's day spent learning the system.
user 25539862
West Harrison, NY
Post #: 31
I have the Serenity/Firefly RPG from MW Productions. Being around all these geeks, I'm getting the desire to run a RPG of some type...
user 5692431
Yonkers, NY
Post #: 9
Thanks, Brendan. Not sure if I'll be able to make it that day, but if I'm free, I'll drop by. Thanks!