Westchester NY Veggie EatUP Message Board › VEGAN recipes to share

VEGAN recipes to share

Alison L.
AlisonL007
White Plains, NY
Post #: 25
Hey gang,
This is the place to post your favorite VEGAN recipes. If you have vegetarian goodies to share, please use the other posting called "Vegetarian recipes to share"!

I'll be adding something here in the next few days.

Enjoy!
smile
-Ali
Doreen
user 2495413
White Plains, NY
Post #: 41
Here is a quick and easy to prepare summer favorite of mine that doesn't involve any cooking.

Chickpea Salad

Ingredients:

1 1 lb.13 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 5 3/4 oz jar Manzanilla olives stuffed w/ pimento, drained
1 8 oz jar sliced hot cherry peppers in oil, partially drained
oregano

Mix chickpeas, olives and hot cherry peppers in large bowl. Season with oregano (or to taste). Refrigerate.
A former member
Post #: 548
This is a favorite in my house...

Tofu Piccata

1 large lemon, peeled and white pith removed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 lb extra firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices
salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup dry white wine
4 ounces white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons capers, drained
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons butter or soy margarine (optional)

Preheat the oven to 275F.
Cut the lemon into very thin rounds, discarding the seeds, and set aside.
Drain tofu, wrap in paper towel, and press for about ten minutes (this will give your tofu a firmer texture).
Put the flour into a shallow bowl.
Season the tofu with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour, tapping off any excess.
Transfer the tofu slices to a platter and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the tofu, in batches, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes total.
Place the tofu slices on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
Deglaze the skillet with the wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring a few times, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the lemon slices, capers, and parsley and simmer until hot.
Stir in the butter, if using, to enrich the sauce.
Arrange the tofu on a serving platter or individual plates.
Pour the sauce over the tofu and serve at once.
Alison L.
AlisonL007
White Plains, NY
Post #: 23
Ok, so it was more than a few days...oops!
Well, I made this chili recipe for a small gathering this past weekend and apparently one of my friends liked it so much she posted a shout about it on my profile...how cute is that!

Here's the recipe but the catch is...you need a slow cooker/crock pot!

Chipotle-Kissed Red Bean and Sweet Potato Chili
(from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson)

Slow Cooker Size: 4-6 quart
Cook Time: 6-8 hours
Setting: Low
Serves: 4-6

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
1 medium-size red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 Tablespoon chili powder, or more to taste
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
One 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Fire Roasted)
1 1/2 cups slow-cooked or one 15.5-ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, or to taste

Note: I used: black beans (2 cans since they are smaller than Kidney beans)
white sweet potatoes instead of the orange ones (the orange ones are really yams).

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add the sweet potatoes and stir to coat with the spices.

2. Transfer the mixture to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, beans and water; season with salt, cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

3. When ready to serve, stir the chipotles into the chili. Taste to adjust the seasonings.

Enjoy!
John F.
user 3266090
Valley Cottage, NY
Post #: 94
Here's a tasty desert recipe I made at a cooking class in the city. It's called Dark Chocolate Mousse. It's more like pudding, but then again I really don't know what the difference between mousse and pudding is, but it tastes better than any mousse or pudding you've ever had.

DARK CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

-1 4oz bar unsweetened chocolate, broken into small pieces (we used Ghirardelli 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate bar)
-3/4 cup unsweetened soymilk.
-pinch of sea salt.
-1 block firm tofu.
-2 tablespoons coconut butter (this is optional, but it really does add some great flavor and nutrition to the dessert)
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 cup pure maple syrup

Make a double boiler: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a separate smaller pot add the broken chocolate bar, soymilk, and sea salt. Place this pot on top of the boiling water and melt, stirring constantly until the chocolate is fully melted, about 4 minutes.
Add this mixture to a blender with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl or container large enough to hold the contents (you could also pour it into individual smaller desert cups for serving to guests) and refrigerate for 1.5 to 2 hours until firm.

NOTE: It is important to use the double boiler to melt the chocolate as you do NOT want to melt the chocolate in a pot that is directly on top of the flame, it needs to melt evenly and the double boiler technique is the best way to achieve this as most pots will get hotter where the flame is underneath them, even those pots that are good heat conductors.

Enjoy,
John F.
Alison L.
AlisonL007
White Plains, NY
Post #: 86
Slow cooker recipe!

Miso-Braised Tofu and Shallots

You’ll need at least a 4 quart cooker or larger for this recipe.
Cook time is 4 hours on the LOW setting.
Serves 4 people.

Ingredients:
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained
2 Tablespoons miso paste*
2 Tablespoons tamari or other soy sauce
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon water

*I’ve used mellow white miso in the past, but I suggest trying different ones and see which you like best

Directions:
1. Spread the shallots over the bottom of a lightly oiled 4-quart (or larger) slow cooker. Cut the tofu into ½-inch thick slabs and arrange in layers on top of shallots.
2. In a small bowl, combine the miso paste, tamari, oil and water and pour over the tofu and shallots. Cover and cook on LOW for about 4 hours.

Enjoy!
smile
Alison L.
AlisonL007
White Plains, NY
Post #: 82
Slow Cooker Recipe!

Black Bean Soup

Cook time is 8 hours on LOW setting in a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
Serves 4-6 people.

Notes:
I doubled this recipe for the holiday party.
I also used an immersion blender to purée the soup to make it thicker and creamier.

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
1 medium-size carrot, chopped
½ small green bell pepper, seeded and minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (15.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed.
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, left undrained
4 cups veggie stock
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly ground pepper (go easy on the salt if you are using store-bought veggie stock)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional)

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Transfer the cooked vegetables to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, add the beans, tomatoes and their juice, stick, bay leaves, cumin, thyme, and cayenne, and season with salt and black pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
3. Remove and discard the bay leaves and taste to adjust the seasonings. Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice, if using. To thicken, purée at least 2 cups or up to one half of the soup solids with an immersion blender used right in the cooker, or ladled into a regular blender/food processor and returned to the cooker. Serve hot.

Enjoy!

(note: if you like this recipe and any of the other slow cooker ones I’ve posted, please go buy the cookbook…it is a good one.)

smile

sharon
vegicatster
Katonah, NY
Post #: 5
Here is an easy hearty, high protein meal
CHICK-PEAS A LA KING

1 TBSP canola oil 1 tsp paprika
1 cup sliced mushrooms ¼ tsp thyme
½ cup chopped red pepper 1/8 tsp black pepper
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour 2 cups low fat nondairy milk
¼ cup nutritional yeast 1 15 oz can chick peas-rinsed and drained
½ tsp salt (or used dry accordingly) ½ cup finely sliced scallions

1. Place the oil in a 2 qt. saucepan, and heat it over medium high. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and bell pepper and cook, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the flour, nutritional yeast, salt, paprika, thyme and pepper. Cook, stirring for 1 minute longer.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and gradually stir in the milk, incorporating about ½ cup at a time. Try to keep the mixture smooth and free of lumps.
3. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and add the chickpeas and scallions. Heat, stirring almost constantly, until the beans are hot about 3 to 5 minutes.
Serves 4. Per serving – 259 calories, 12g protein, 39g carb, 6g fat
A former member
Post #: 4

you can use sweet or regular potato

set oven to 400 degrees

cut potato into wedges

mix into a plastic storage bag
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder

add potatoes to bag and close. mix them around carefully till the potatoes are covered.

spread them out (skin side down) on a lightly oiled sheet, put them in the over for 40 mins
A former member
Post #: 1
I recently purchased The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. It's absolutely fantastic, the recipes are for formal dining to casual entertaining. I've made many recipes from this book and have yet to be disappointed.

This Mushroom Walnut Pate' has been SUCH a hit at our dinner parties, that my husband and I make it just to have on hand for when we want a tasty snack. It's got a meaty texture and the depth of flavor is really amazing for being vegan (no dairy!!).

Walnut Mushroom Pate' from The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goodreau

2 TB Olive Oil
1 medium size Yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
15 cremini or shiitake mushrooms, sliced (I just learned cremini is just baby portobellos!)
1 TB chopped fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried
1TB chopped fresh sage or 2 stp dried
2 TB nutritional yeast flakes (get at Whole Foods in bulk or in cannister)
3TB Tamari soy sauce
2 TB Balsamic vinegar (use a good, aged one)
2 C walnuts, toasted
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

1. Saute' onion in oil over medium heat, to they begin to become translucent. Add garlic, continue for 5 mins. Add mushrooms, cover and cook 5 mins, stirring occasionally. Uncover pan and allow them to cook 10 mins longer.

2. Add Thyme, Sage, Nutritional Yeast, 2 TB tamari, and vinegar, and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute then turn off heat.

3. Transfer mushroom mixture and toasted walnuts to food processor, adding pepper and remaining TB of tamari if needed (I always do). Pulse until mixture is a creamy pate'. Taste and add salt if necessary.

Serve at room temperature with crackers, bread, or crostini. Veggies and non-veggies alike will love this (I had 3 French meat-eating friends over, they ate the entire bowl!!).

Enjoy!!