Western Montana Photography Message Board › Raptors of the Rockies and Bitterroots

Raptors of the Rockies and Bitterroots

Bryan S.
user 39917502
Group Organizer
Missoula, MT
Post #: 6
Sorry I didn't make the last meeting. I had promised to check on some photo ops for raptors and bitterroots flowers.

The bitterroots should start blooming in a couple of weeks, its a fairly short event and totally weather dependent. Johnny Stroud in Stevensville has several hundred thousand on his property. He will let me know as soon as they start and I will post it here. Along with his address. They bloom during the day from about 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. He gives tours on Saturdays, but will welcome anyone during the week.

I talked with Kate Davis, who is Raptors of the Rockies, we cannot take photos of her birds because they are actually owned by the Federal Govt. Part of her license with them is that photos taken of the birds in her care can only be used for educational purposes. However, Kate is the guest artist this month at Rivers Mist Gallery in Stevensvile, and she has some spectacular photos of wild raptors on display. I highly recommend stopping in for a look. The majority of her photos are taken in the Lee Metcalf refuge. (And if any of you are looking for a place to show your work, Gretchen Spiess at Rivers Mist is always looking for people to display and sell their work.) You can also see some of Kate's photos at http://www.raptorsoft...­ or http://www.raptorsoft...­
Christopher C.
opegasus
Battle Creek, NE
Post #: 385
Thanks Bryan!
Bryan S.
user 39917502
Group Organizer
Missoula, MT
Post #: 7
The last two hot days finally got the bitterroots blooming. They will probably bloom good next week and then a few the following week. They open up around 10:00 AM and look good until 2:00 PM, by 4:00 they are all closed up for the day. I got out this afternoon about 3:30 and there were only a few open.

I will be out photographing them tomorrow (Saturday the 16th). If anyone want to join in, the 10 acres that I looked at today has thousands of blooms. It's off Ambrose Creek Road north east of Stevensville. Call me at eight eight zero- eight five zero zero for specific directions