add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Wheyward Bound Cheesemaking Club of Sonoma County Message Board › Flavored Cheeses Brainstorm

Flavored Cheeses Brainstorm

A former member
Post #: 28
Who took notes at Redwood Hill on how the Gravenstein Gold was washed? I believe Jennifer said they used a wash of hard apple cider, b. linens, and geotrichum. Who remembers more?
A former member
Post #: 29
Okay gang, thanks for all the feedback and ideas. Here is my current plan, incorporating as many contributed ideas as I can work in. I can handle the production of a 4 gallon batch of cheddar/jack curds on my double boiler and outdoor burner setup. With four gallons of curd, we can do 4 different cheeses in four small presses. We can easily incorporate our flavorings during the "cheddaring process" where curds rest (warm) for about an hour. How about these four flavors soaking with the curds in four batches:

1. Dried harvest peppers
2. Dried chives
3. Lagunitas beer chosen by The Hewitt's
4. Hard Apple Cider

Also, since there is great interest in smoking cheese, let's see if we can pull that off at the same time?! We'll have to use commercial cheese, I think, but it will be fun to experiment a bit. We may use a Little Chief, a Big Green Egg, or even a wok (see pg 103 of Mary Karlin's book). Still working on that.

Any other thoughts here?
A former member
Post #: 7
how about smoking one of the cheeses we're flavoring.......................roasted peppers come to mind!
Dill cheese would probably be not tasty smoked.
beer cheese might be kinda good? ....maybe?...maybe strange.
Apple cider cheese might be good too, like the winter evening sitting in front of the woodstove drinking cider and eating cheese...... but maybe also strange.

..or we could smoke the commercial cheese and then we won't 'wreck' one of our flavors. smoking a commercial flavored cheese for tryout?
A former member
Post #: 30
Okay, I've more or less got our cheese smoking system worked out. Nancy will lend us her Little Chief cold smoker for the day and the chips to use in it. Thanks for the offer of your Little Chief, Rick! If you have any flavored chips you like, please bring some would be cool if we had different types of wood to try.
Also, anyone who wants to have their cheese smoked, bring your cheese! We will have a few racks available. I plan on having the smoker working well before the meeting starts, so you can throw on a cheese when you get there.
A former member
Post #: 31
I've finally cut open all the flavored cheeses and they are all very different for sure. I've added pics to the photo section under the Flavored Cheese meeting heading.

Pepper Jack was bright and fruity, spicing worked about just about perfect. Waxed rind kept the moisture level pretty high and curd flavor was soft and fresh. Not much flavor development other than the peppers.

Cloth Bandaged Chive Cheddar was the funkiest. Pictures tell the story. Lots of every type of mold on the outside. I unwrapped and actually had to cut off the rind to eliminate all the molds. The inside, however, had the most flavor development of all the cheddars, really delicious actually.

The Lagunitas Beer Cheddar and Ace Hard Cider Cheddar ended up tasting very similar after aging. I developed a natural rind (often washed with vinegar/salt) on each and they ended up drier texture than the others. The curd crumbles like an old gouda. Flavor development after two months was pretty high, and the rind became very stable, as in no more scrubbing, after about 4 weeks.

All the pics can be seen here:­
A former member
Post #: 4
Oooh, nice idea. We would need the ability to cold smoke. I know the Hewitt's have a smoker (The Big Green Egg), but not sure if we could channel the smoke away from the heat. Worth looking into!

Talked with the guy from Asiens at the home show yesterday about cold smoking in the eg, he mentioned he has seen people tak a small "egg" and pipe in from the top to the larger "gegg" to get the cold smoke effect...Interesting idea I thought. Cold smoked chedder OMG!!!
A former member
Post #: 5
Oooh, nice idea. We would need the ability to cold smoke. I know the Hewitt's have a smoker (The Big Green Egg), but not sure if we could channel the smoke away from the heat. Worth looking into!

Hi. I have a Little Chef. We can try to cold smoke (cheese should be 90 degrees or less) or we can set up a separate box and vent smoke from one to another. cheese only needs only 2 hours to smoke

This is all so yummy, I want to quit my day job and just do this. OK back on topic, I spoke with the "Green Egg" dude at the home show and the way he explained it was you channel the smoke into the larger egg at the bottom, could use a small egg for the smoke production (his suggestion :-)), thus the large "smoker" egg does not have any heat except from the entering smoke, which could be cooled by the length of pipe, buried underground etc. Just a thought.

My idea, try not to laugh now I'm on my first batch...anyone ever try to use sweet flavorings such as a maple syrup or my newest discovery this weekend, smoked brown sugar....oh yeah. I picked up some at the farmers market and will be rolling one of the Fromage' rounds in it to try.

Say Cheese...CHEESE!