Wild Foodies of Philly Message Board Places to forage: CSAs, farms, preserves, lots, yards, etc. › Edible Forrest CSA in Norristown: Weed Walk, discussion, possible forage

Edible Forrest CSA in Norristown: Weed Walk, discussion, possible forage

Katelyn M.
user 84579372
Southeastern, PA
Post #: 1
Hello all,

I manage a small 1/8-1/4 acre garden in Norristown, where I grow vegetables for a few CSA share members. It's a pretty unique spot in Norristown, which is densely populated with little wild/open space. Of course, the garden is small, but I've been experimenting with leaving some untended rows within the garden area, which has been amazingly fruitful - literately, filled with edibles, but also tremendously beneficial for the garden.

Anyway, I'd love to have people over to check things out, discuss, and potentially harvest whatever is out and appealing to you all. I can lead a small weed walk/tour to start it off, which will most likely focus on medicinal aspects of the plants/weeds, as that is a main interest of mine. I'd also love to hear other's opinions and experiences with tending wilderness / "weeds" as companion plants in the garden / beneficial aspects of wildness in gardens / biodiversity in densely human-populated areas / the whole agriculture-wilderness debate in general. We have some pretty beautiful and exciting weeds, in addition to the usual suspects (lamb's quarters!!).

Friday mornings would be best for me, though we could also set a weekend date if that works better. I commute out from West Philly, so we can definitely carpool. Additionally, if people are interested in staying to work in the garden for a few hours, I'd definitely send you home with some produce!

Anyone who is interested, please respond to this discussion with availability (lets shoot for: Friday mornings - the 26th or the 2nd?) and I'll set a date as long as there's enough interest! It would be a great opportunity for people in Montgomery County/Norristown to connect, and great for us city folks to get out and explore :)

Happy gardening!

Katelyn
Sue
user 12307521
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 6
Hi Katelyn,
I'd love to see your place & I'd be happy to swap a little work for a little produce. I live in Lafayette Hill, so I'm not far from you. Friday mornings are good for me, and I could also do weekends - Saturday afternoons or Sunday mornings. Sue
Tom M.
user 83942902
Southeastern, PA
Post #: 1
Hi all!

I work in Norristown, and am intend to move there soon. There is incredible potential here, and it's awesome to hear of some existing projects!

Where is that garden, Katelyn? I'd love to stop by and look, as well as hear any information you'd care to share!

Friday mornings are generally OK, but at the moment my schedule is quite sporadic. When I move in, I'd definitely like to do some tours along the bike trail!

Thanks for getting this going and looking forward to meeting you!
Tom