Wisconsin Bicycling Meetup Message Board › Horrible Hilly Hundreds

Horrible Hilly Hundreds

Sonja
sonjak40
Madison, WI
Post #: 1
I just signed up for this.. am volunteering for bag pick up the night before. Am I crazy? Anyone done this before? any tips?
Kent W.
user 3449101
Madison, WI
Post #: 7
I guess one obvious thing is to sit rather than stand as much as possible during bag pickup duty!

Other than that, a lot depends on whether you're doing the 100 or 200 km route.

As far as the actual ride goes, I'd say the following:
* Ride at your own (conservative) pace
* Eat and drink a lot
* Use low gears

One thing to watch out for is getting sucked into riding too hard to stay with a group. It's easy for that to happen, and because of all of the hills being in a group doesn't help as much as normal, either.

If you're doing the 200 km, the big thing is that it's *long* -- in terms of time in the saddle (and energy expenditure) it's probably something like 50% longer than a flat century, not 25% longer. So if you've done a flat century before, I'd say pace yourself as if you're doing 150 miles, not 124.

And have fun! It's some really great riding...

Hmm -- another thought: if you have a chance, go out and ride some of the course ahead of time, or at least do some hilly training rides -- not just for the climbing, but for the descending. If you're not a confident descender you'll throw away a lot of energy in extra braking.

Kent
Sonja
sonjak40
Madison, WI
Post #: 4
thanks so much Kent for the tips! I went and drove some of it about a month ago and plan on going and doing some training out there as soon as things warm up. appreciate the help! I'm just doing the hundred :)