"With an Open Mind" Discussion Group Message Board › If you now believe in (a) God and it were "proven", to your satisf

If you now believe in (a) God and it were "proven", to your satisfaction, that there IS no God, would you live your life any differently?

Vernon
VernonC
Group Organizer
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 10
I don't believe in God in any conventional sense, so having it "proved" that there is no God in ANY sense of the word would have no effect on the way I live my life. I would find as much "meaning" in life as I do now. I would be inclined to act in the same way toward my fellow human beings as I do now. I might, however, be a bit more "cautious" around those who once "believed" ... uncertain how THEY might be affected.
A former member
Post #: 286
I already posted a reply to this one in the thread that is for questions that come up fromt he last meeting. I will be very happy to get to know the other philosophers in the group by reading their replies.

Vernon, being cautious around others was a considerate thing to think about. It never occurred to me to wonder how it might effect them, until now....
A former member
Post #: 398
Unfortunately, I don't think the existance of God can be proven or disproven. For some, He is reality and no facts presented would ever change their thinking or belief. For others, they would explain away His appearence as some type of scientific anomoly and their experience would not change what they believe.

A person who has live their life as a "good Christian" and then comes to disbelieve in God would not go out and begin doing evil things just because they find that they lost their faith. They have this faith in the first place because it fits with their view of good and evil. A die-hard Satan worshiper will not begin doing good deeds if he suddenly loses his faith in the Devil. People align themselves with whatever fits their way of viewing good and evil.

So, proving or disproving would have no effect on how one lives their life.
A former member
Post #: 4
I do not believe in a deity, yet if it were proven that a deity did not exist, people within their beliefs would attempt to condemn that proof. Look at Socrates, he spoke out against the god's and was put to death. Look at Galileo, he was deemed as heritic. The flat earth soceity of Galileo's day still exist's, because people are so invested in thier beliefs. It as been said those with eyes will see, those with ears will hear. Those who do not will not. I find this quite true
Thia
ThiaM.
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 1
I grew up a fairly devout Lutheran, but eventually decided that a "loving god" would not allow suffering (among other things) of his followers, and the Old Testiment stories of a "wrathful god"... I just don't think someone like that deserves to be worshipped.

I try to live a thoughtful, moral life... and as I take my actions and believe my beliefs because they are what I, and much of society, consider to be right, as opposed to taking them to gain favor from a distant deity, I believe they are more "my" actions and thoughts, as opposed to "trained behavior".