WordPress Chapel Hill Message Board › Getting back on track with WordPress Chapel Hill

Getting back on track with WordPress Chapel Hill

Anthony Z.
tonyzeoli
Group Organizer
Asheville, NC
Hi everyone:

I hope you are all enjoying this beautiful fall weather we've been having the past few days and that we've put the rain behind us.

I wanted to update you on WordPress Chapel Hill. As some of you may know and some of you don't, I had an accident in August that required surgery, which put me out of commission for a few months. The surgery both tapped my time and energy to organize a new meetup, so I put things on hold for a few months.

Well, now I'm feeling much better and am ready to rock'n'roll again. Two months of physical therapy has me back to about 65% and counting. So, now that I'm feeling better, I will be scheduling the next WordPress Chapel Hill for the fourth week in November, just before Turkey Day. I'm tentatively targeting Tuesday, November 22 at 6:00 pm in Chapel Hill at the UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

From 6:00 to 7:00, I will do a Beginner's Basics. I think there are some new members who have asked for a beginners look again. This will cover the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. Where to find reliable hosting. How to install WordPress on your hosting account. How to secure your WordPress site. How to pick or build a Theme. Where to find plugins. WordPress and SEO. And, of course, how to publish. I am going to run through this in 45 minutes, leaving 15 minutes for Q&A.

Then, from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm, I will present on custom post types, custom taxonomies, and custom post formats. As I am not a developer, I will just go over what they are and why they are useful. I'll have an example of an implementation, so you can wrap your head around how these are used when you develop sites for your clients, partners, or at your job.

From 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm, I would like to have 5 to 10 minute demos of 5 projects our members are working on. If you are interested in demoing your WordPress project, please email me directly so I can put a list together. If someone is working on a specific project using custom post types or custom post formats, that would be great to share.

Please email me to let me know if you're interested in the Beginner's Workshop or if you'd like to present your project.

We're going to try to fit a lot in here. If you're not interested in the Beginner's workshop, then come in at 7:00 pm, when we start the next session.

Also, if you have any ideas for the next Meetup in December, please let me know.

Look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks. I'll post the meetup as soon as I secure my support here at UNC.

Best,

Tony Zeoli