Lancaster WordPress Message Board › Hello everyone!

Hello everyone!

George S.
GeorgeStephanis
Lancaster, PA
Thanks so much for joining the Lancaster meetup group. We've now got over 30 members in just a couple days, and that is an incredible growth rate for a group just beginning to gain some traction.

Let's all work together to keep this momentum going. We've got a Twitter account set up at @WPLanc, and we should have a Facebook page up shortly. Please make sure to direct any friends or associates who have an interest in WordPress, running their own site, building sites, or anything related our way!

If you're planning on joining us on Thursday the 29th, great! We'll be taking suggestions and requests for areas that you'd like us to focus on, be it either at a full meetup, or small group sessions. Some of the topics that have been floated for consideration are ...

• Your First Website: Writing in WordPress
  • Building Blocks: Installing WordPress and a Custom Theme from Scratch
  • E-Commerce Introduction: A look at selling things in WordPress
  • I Asked The Witch Doctor, He Told Me What To Do: SEO in WordPress
  • Hack-Days: Get together and build something awesome!
  • Office Hours: Experienced WordPress designers and developers sit down to answer rookie questions one-on-one

So keep it up! We've got some great avenues open to us, and we're eager to get there together!

-George
A former member
Post #: 3
Good day George:

Thank you so much for taking the time to organize and motivate the group.

https://twitter.com/#...­ is being followed; and as soon as the FaceBook page is up, there will be one more like.

Every member probably has niche areas of expertise with WordPress; maybe some are a Jack of All trades, master of none with it. We each have something to share.

While we have several sites of our own in WordPress where I'm the day-to-day admin, regular blog writer, and so on my areas of expertise that I would like to share with the group over time fall into the following areas:

• WordPress Security including how to install it securely -- and why manual installs are more secure than going through a control panel (the one click installations)
  • Apache .htaccess file -- security, redirects, tweaks
  • PCI Compliance for anyone getting into ecommerce (yes, there is a security trend here)
  • General troubleshooting that might be done on the server level

Thank you.