WordPress NYC Meetup Group Message Board General › What do you think it means to use WordPress as a Content Management System (

What do you think it means to use WordPress as a Content Management System (CMS)?

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Post #: 4
There are a lot different ways to think about how content is controlled on the web. What expectations, desires, or theories do you have about using WordPress as an effective way to control content on the web?
A former member
Post #: 1
I like to take a step back and think about the fact that we're looking at tables in a database. I like linking those tables in as many different ways that make sense as possible. I'm using WordPress for podcasting, blogging, static business sites and my resume.

I'd love to see WordPress get more social. I'm using Disqus now for comments and soon they will be adding a feature that posts to Facebook news feed when people comment. I'd like to see more options like that that will allow for bulding WP sites out.

I'm excited to see what BuddyPress will add to WordPress' capabilities too.
Ken S.
user 8368026
New York, NY
Post #: 1
I have been designing sites for about ten years. Most of my clients are writers, photographers illustrators and a book publisher. The more computer literate have been using Adobe Contribute to edit their sites. I started using WP about three years ago with some of my authors. Publishers Weekly wrote that an author should be blogging whenever they have a new book coming out. A added WP. I have always wanted my clients to maintain their own sites and WP seems like a great solution.
WHAT IS CMS TO ME?
Content Management. For starters, that means Pages for Press, Bios, News, Coming Events, Portfolios (Galleries) and Contact as well as a Blog. It also means eCommerce, though I have not had any demand for that yet. The traditional Blog format and the Magazine format can provide this.
I want to do some work outside of the available Theme Templates. I am a graphic designer. This is what I love and I also believe bringing unique design to a site gives my clients unique branding. But that probably doesn't apply to this thread, except to say that I learning to build my own WP sites (Thank you Chris @ www.css-tricks.com)
I also want my clients to have as much control of their site as possible. Currently I have been building some sites in Chris Pearson's Thesis. (www.thesisterproject.com) This has great promise, particularly because of the two extra Thesis Dashboard panels.
Any questions?
A former member
Post #: 2
Since 2002, I've published and edited an online news site for my town. When we started, my partner and I were self-taught HTML slaves (we had founded the first official site for our town in 1997 when we had to use Notepad and raw code!). We'd been creating our articles using Dreamweaver, and our reporters would email us their stories. We couldln't afford to license Contribute for our many volunteer reporters. We built each page in a template, and our look/feel kept changing, but it was hard to keep things consistent over the years. And it was a bear to manage.

I discovered WP only recently, and I've convinced my partner it's the way to go for the future of our newspaper. We need, eventually, to hand the project off to other community volunteers, and it's unlikely we'll find citizen journalists who are as techie as we are. Hence WP is a good solution, and it seems to be able to manage the large volume of files we'll generate.

The only thing we regret so far is that we don't know of a way to import our legacy content, years and year and thousands of files of it, into the new system. For now, we'll just let Google search find the old files, and we're linking back to old archives with sidebar text widgets.

We're going "live" next week. Exciting stuff!