November 19, 2013 · 6:00 PM
This is an online critique group for short stories, novels and outlines that meets in a video conference. There is no application process. No travel either. Just lots of exciting on the spot discussion. Here's how it works:
* RSVP yes to this meetup
* Have up to 2,000 words ready in PDF format
* On the day I will invite attendees to a Google+ Hangout
* We go around and introduce ourselves
* Someone is randomly chosen to share their work
* People read and take turns giving feedback
* Repeat until we run out of time or writers
What is Google+ Hangouts?
Bit like Skype but newer. You'll need a Google+ account. Works on PC, Mac, iPhone and Android.
Some critiquing guidelines:
* Do give praise, improvement, praise
* Do point out problems and make suggestions
* Do focus on plot, characters, believability etc. more than grammar or spelling
* Do critique the work, not the author
* Do use their name while speaking. Don't say "You... you... you..."
* Don't tell the author exactly what to write e.g. "Bob stared lustfully into Jane's eyes"
For the author:
* Do listen and take notes
* Do ask the reader why they thought this or that
* Don't get defensive. They are just opinions (of people trying to help).
* Don't explain what it should have been (unless you're stuck). If it's not in the text it doesn't count.