add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Young and New to the Cities Message Board › Things to do around the Twin Cities

Things to do around the Twin Cities

A former member
Post #: 1
Hey Everyone,

Obviously, I am new to the cities, so I don't know as many opportunities of what is available further away from where I live in South Minneapolis. I'd like to provide opportunities for everyone to get to do events near their community... so lets discuss ideas for future meetups here.
user 14397933
Minneapolis, MN
Hey Cara! I'll have to ask a few of my coworkers about some good events coming up here. There's a lot of resources out that I try to keep up on:

• City Pages (sign up for their Top things to do this week email)
  • CrowdCut, Groupon and Daily Deals have all helped to expand my horizons a bit. They're deals allowed me to explore some things I never would have tried or even heard about otherwise
  • Neighborhood business...maybe it's b/c I live downtown, but there are tons of businesses down here that offer free and/or discounted services. I tried bikram yoga b/c a few places offered 1 free week to new customers
  • Sporting events - I'm probably late on this one, but where I come from, it's illegal to buy or sell tickets on the street to an event. Here it's free! The first (and only) Twins game I've been to so far, I scored really good seats for $20 about 20 minutes into the game
  • Entertainment - Summer's here and I think just about every city is putting on some great outdoor shows. A lot of them are free. Check out the State fair music lineup as well. I saw BoyzIIMen again last summer for the price of admission :-)

A former member
Post #: 2
I know the fall weather is getting a little crisp but I'm all for getting together with the runners in this group for some evening runs (during week) or morning/afternoon (weekends).

I'm in Uptown so typically hit up Lake of the Isles and Calhoun and run anywhere from 3 to 7 miles at a pace between 8:30-9 min miles (happy to get out for a more leisurely run too!).

I researched some running clubs, but a lot of them have dues and don't run in Uptown, so if anyone else lives around here and wants to start a regular/semi-regular running meetup, I'm game!

Hit me up on twitter @evansjourney or reply and let me know if you're interested.

College Football Game Day meetups might be fun too! (especially considering I don't have cable yet!)
user 8370126
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4
Its now too cold for me to run outside and still be able to breathe, so running is out for me.

College football could be fun though, especially as I am sure there are people here that support lots of different teams. Having lived in either Lansing or metro Detroit pretty much my entire life, I'm a Michigan/Michigan State guy!
A former member
Running in Uptown would be fun! I'm also looking for a younger crowd to workout with. I've gone to running groups/cycling groups and am always the youngest person there by 20 years. Not that I don't love people in their 40s-50s, but it would be refreshing to workout with some people in my age range!

If anyone does triathlons and is interested in training over the winter let me know! I'm looking to join a Master's swim team as well as start snowshoe running.

Message me on fb @ cristen bonz