The Upper Manhattan Connection Club Message Board › Neighborhood Volunteer Opportunity

Neighborhood Volunteer Opportunity

A former member
Post #: 8
Hi all,

The Women's shelter at Good Shepherd Church really needs new volunteers. A couple of our long-term helpers are leaving town or have other commitments that interfere with the shelter schedule.

Here's our flyer. Please give it some thought. I'll be the one answering the email address down below, or you can contact me directly at katyestevens on gmail.

Thanks!
-Katy

Women's Shelter at Good Shepherd Church needs additional volunteers

What we do

The Women's Shelter provides a safe and clean place for women to stay overnight and get a good night’s rest. We are open 5 nights a week-Monday thru Friday, housing up to 6 women-in-need per night as part of the Emergency Shelter Network (ESN).

Who we are

The Women’s Shelter has been open for 22 years. Generously supported by Good Shepherd Catholic Church and local community organizations, we are a nonsectarian group of local women and men looking to make a small but significant difference in the lives of others.

We are in need of more sleepover volunteers
to stay overnight with our guests in the shelter.

What a “sleepover” is like

Sleepover volunteers arrive at the shelter by 7 PM and will stay/sleep over through the night. Our guests are selected by the dropin center at Grand Central, Main Chance and transported to our facility in Inwood by bus, arriving between 7 and 8:30 PM. The volunteer sets up a light meal and acts as a host to the ladies, generally supervising shelter activity. Lights are out by 10PM. Everyone is up early for coffee and a quick breakfast so the guests can meet the bus at 6 AM.

We request that sleepover volunteers sign up at least ONE NIGHT a month. Two volunteers can work together during an overnight.

Training

A new volunteer will shadow a current volunteer for as many nights as they need to feel comfortable. Typically, 1-2 nights are enough.

Thank you for your consideration.
It is much appreciated by our community.

Questions???
CONTACT

email: inwoodgoodshepherdshelter at gmail
Connie V.
cavasquezesq
New York, NY
Post #: 3
Hi, Katy:

I'd like to talk with you about this. I tried to email you and got a bounceback.

Connie Vasquez
A former member
Post #: 9
Hi Connie,

Thanks for your interest!

I'm sorry that the message didn't go through. I'm not sure what happened. I don't want to post a link of the whole email address just because I'm a little wary of spam-bots. Maybe you could try sending a message through Meet-up, though. Just click on the envelope icon under my profile picture, and Meetup will set up a message like facebook or myspace.

Looking forward to speaking with you!

All the best,
Katy
A former member
Post #: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that posting this reply will send this discussion up to the top of the message board again. We'd love to recruit new volunteers for our little shelter. We're only open Wednesday to Friday these days, but we're working with a skeleton crew. If you are concerned about how a sleepover at the shelter might impact your work schedule, please keep in mind that Friday nights are followed by Saturdays, when post-shelter naps are frequently okay. In fact, my cat highly recommends them.

Thanks for your interest and consideration!

All the best,

Katy