Ann Arbor Adventure Club Message Board › Ideas for Tough Mudder 2013

Ideas for Tough Mudder 2013

Dylan C.
user 13815564
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 6
I'm going to run this obstacle course next year and I'll need to get in better shape first. If you've done a similar event, or would like to, please give me some ideas about what to expect and how to prepare.

Training: What type of obstacle do the most people have trouble clearing? What is a good way to practice for that type of obstacle?

Group training venues: I would like to start a team and post a few training meetups when this is a little closer. A park somewhere around Ann Arbor/Ypsi/Plymouth would be ideal. Ideally it should have: 1. dirt trails for trail running 2. a steep hill to run up 3. monkey bars

For the first few months, I plan to attend some of the 'Bootcamp, ninja style' meetups posted on our calendar. Also, go to the gym to improve my running distance and upper-body strength.
Jay W.
user 10110077
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 2
I have run two Tough Mudders and can advise you to at least get yourself in good condition for a long run. If you get up to the point where you can run about 5-7 miles easily, you will be in good shape. If you can do more, even better. You'll also need some added upper body strength for things like pulling yourself over a wall, climbing, monkey bars, and most of all - to HELP OTHERS. The Tough Mudder is really about teamwork and finishing, more so than setting any records.

Every obstacle presents its own challenges, some greater than others. Getting up and over walls is hard for some, while running a 5k through woods without stopping is a challenge for others.

It seem you are on the right track for training with all that you said. Good luck! I would love to join you but I'm already involved with my regular team and we run it in Pennsylvania.
Dylan C.
user 13815564
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 9
Thanks, that's the info I'm looking for. Our first training event (trail running) was a success. The monkey bars will be hard, but I know a couple places to practice. I'm not sure how to practice climbing walls, might have to round up some surplus lumber and build a starter wall at some point.