This is a 1-day intensive course on developing your first iOS application. It is targeted to experienced developers and the pace will be quick. We start at 9am and go until we're done sometime after 6pm.
You must bring your own Macintosh laptop with XCode 4 installed.
This is not for the weak or the faint of heart! This is Boot Camp!
Presented in partnership with Mobile Mondays Las Vegas
Tom Ortega learned to program when he was 12, on his school’s computer. It would take another 9 years before he would get a computer of his own. In those nine years, he honed his skills in writing, art and other creative outlets. This has created an duality of passions within him. Technology and art have a way of combining to create things that are wonderful beyond measure. Since 1995, Tom has been working on applying technology to business solutions. He’s started with client/server solutions, moved onto to web based solutions and is now in the mobile space. He’s a consultant that works with small startups all the way up to large enterprises. As long as technology was needed to solve a problem, he was there to help solve it. Tom pays the bills by farming his technical services out at his new mobile consultancy, Omega Ortega, while moonlighting with his best friend on Area 161, a new type of game company. He can also be found on twitter.
- Outline your app - What will it do?
- Design your app screens - What will it look like?
- Set your app up in iTunes Connect - What will you name it?
Setting up a project
- Which devices (iPhone only, iPad only, both)?
- Which layouts (landscape, portrait, both)?
- Which source control (SVN, Git, none)?
- What are groups and how do they help manage my code?
- What info is where?
- What’s the Navigator, Editor and Utilities areas?
- In Navigator:
- What’s the File Navigator for?
- What’s the Symbol Navigator for?
- What’s the Search Navigator for?
- What’s the Issue Navigator for?
- What’s the Log Navigator for?
- What’s an Object?
- How do you create a custom object?
- What are properties and how do I use them?
- How do you initialize an object?
Your App’s Data - Model
- What’s a Model?
- Why do you need one?
- How do you control it?
Laying out your app - Views
- What’s a scene?
- What’s a segue?
- How do they interact?
- What is Inferface Builder and how do I use it?
- What is the Outline View?
- How do I expose objects to Interface Builder?
Add functionality to your app - Controllers
- What are ViewControllers?
- What is Automatic Reference Count (ARC)?
- In Library:
- What is the File Template Library?
- What is the Code Snippet Library?
- What is the Object Library?
- What is the Media Library?
- Is this code even being ran?
- What’s the Breakpoint Navigator for?
- What’s the Debug Navigator for?