aloha.rb Message Board › Local freelance/indie Rails developers - how do you handle "developer t

Local freelance/indie Rails developers - how do you handle "developer tragedy contingency"?

Andrew W.
andyman_hnl
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 1
I was wondering what other freelance/indie developers do for a "developer tragedy contingency"? (something takes the developer out of commission)

Here's the situation: I left my corporate software engineering job back in 2008 and started doing independent work on my own projects and also doing solo freelancing for clients' projects. After all these years, I now have quite a number of production apps (mostly Rails) to support, and some of them being old legacy Rails apps from 2.3.x, some being spanking new Rails 3.2.x apps, some even desktop apps (node-webkit). But it troubles me - what happens to my projects and my clients' projects if something tragic happens to me?

Are there any other solo freelance/indie Rails developers here in Hawaii, or are most developers stuck at companies? What do you do for "developer tragedy contingency" if you are solo?

Or are there any local HI Rails/web developers who might be available as a backup support Rails developer? My clients are all local HI clients and would prefer local HI developers. Basically if something tragic happens to me, then my clients would contact you to support/enhance their Rails app, perhaps with some ramp up time for you to get familiar with the app.

I'm looking for someone with a good grasp of the entire breath of developing/supporting a traditional rails app: Rails, MYSQL, HTML5/CSS3, jQuery, and Ubuntu Linux admin skills. I can then offer my clients a "Backup support developer" contract directly with you - perhaps structured as monthly retainer and then the hourly/daily billable rates if the support is actually needed? Or if you're a freelance developer, perhaps we can do some kind of a backup support developer swap/partnership? Let me know. Reply here or private message me.

Mahalo,

- Andrew