addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Alt Library Message Board › Special Film Event!

Special Film Event!

Cliff
user 8551548
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 147
Greetings, library meetup friends! I know many of you have attended one or more of the great Classic Movie showings at the main library once a month (I sure have) and I'm hosting a similar event.

My name is Cliff Weimer, my website is www.inthebalcony.com, and I've written films and documentaries about classic films, plus contributed to the bonus material on many DVDs/Blu-rays of classic films. On March 27, I'll be hosting a one-of-a-kind event when Media Matters presents "Silents were Golden".

When many people think of “old-time" silent movies, grainy images of slapstick comics belting each other with pies and seltzer water come to mind. Yet the silent film era produced films of lasting beauty, power, and merit as a new medium found its way. By the mid-1920s, silent films had achieved a level of artistry that made them the most beloved popular entertainment in the world. Nevertheless, in 1927 when Al Jolson stepped up to the microphone and uttered the phrase, “You ain’t heard nothin’ yet, folks!” in The Jazz Singer, it sent an instantaneous dagger into the heart of the silent picture. Interestingly, it was years before talking pictures – with clunky, immobile equipment and clunky, inarticulate film stars – were able to match the beauty and power of the great silent films.

In celebration of The Artist, a retro-silent film and winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture of 2011, and Hugo, Martin Scorcese’s heartwarming gem set in Paris in the 1920s, we’re going to revisit the silent era, with two hours of clips, trailers, oddities and short subjects from silent and early sound films. Spend an evening with such legendary names as Lillian Gish, Lon Chaney, Buster Keaton, Clara Bow, D.W. Griffith, Charlie Chaplin and an array of unforgettable films – and yes, a pie in the face or two. Plus, examples of early sound films, when the actors were apparently told, “Whatever you do, don’t move, and remember to speak into that hidden microphone!” A fun and informative evening is guaranteed.

This is a Media Mentoring event; tickets are only $10 and strictly limited. Wine and light fare will be available. Purchase tickets online under Events/Program at http://www.capitolind...­.

Please come out for this fun event, suitable for all ages. The event will be held at
Creative Vera Studio
1200 S Street, Sacramento, CA.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Cliff