The London Expat American Meetup Group Message Board › Worlds Greatest Rockstar- Homeless

Worlds Greatest Rockstar- Homeless

Wilber W.
WilberWebb
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 2,526
Jim Morrisson: He was essentially homeless.
An observation by director Tom Dicillo on the life of Jim Morrisson after meeting and interviewing those who knew him during his brief but active life

I had an interesting conversation the other day with a 23 year old (fellow) American man. He was trying to recall some well know rock act from his parents time. "Led.. Something..." He had no idea who Led Zeplin was! This despite being a Dartmouth educated, world traveled, generally cottoned on kind of guy.

As a punk rocker from way back you cannot know how satisfying that was for me personally to see that FM prog rock is not receiving the verdict of history. But what saddens me is that so much of what was even popular music which reflected much more of what was going on in society than mass media wished to acknowledge is also being washed away from the historic memory. I think Jim Morrisson's legacy reflects this, more so as time progresses.

Jim Who?...(Some of you might be asking), ...and perhaps~ why should I care? This is not a homelessness group, not a music appreciation society. I think it may be relevant, so I wanted to share it with this group; hear me out.

Jim Morrisson (for those who do not know) was THE most massive rock star of his age. He was innovative~ many of the musical stylings and even cliches of Rock stardom began with Jim Morrisson, unlike anything musically or other wise in his time. He lived only till the age of 27.

Jim Morrisson began his adult life as a homeless person. Perhaps due to his strict family background and never settling in one place his homelessness began before he left home. Judging from The filmmaker's Blog (See bellow) perhaps he never left his homelessness.

There are all different types of Homelessness, different layers to the Homelessness consciousness within a person. Homelessness cannot be all summed up with a roof or not having a roof over one's head. It's how it feels and effects a person psycolocicaly

Jim Morrisson was absolutely acting out from a repressive background from his teens till his premature death at age 27. It's a shame he did not live long enough to really pull himself out of psychological homelessness, before killing himself due to lack of care. He also, along the way created an entire genre of music, a huge platform to tell the world a lot of things about themselves that they might not have wanted to otherwise hear. It's amazing what people can produce despite of, (or because of) their "homelessness"

Wilber Webb

When You're Strange: A Film About The Doors
http://whenyourestran...­

Some observations on Jim Morrisons life from those who knew him
From Director Tom Dicillo's Blog
Great Photos http://www.tomdicillo...­

The theatrical life of When You’re Strange is fading away. I’ve spent months talking about this film. Sometimes, when I least expect it, I get the strangest feeling that I’ve actually learned a few things on this crazy trip.

Jim’s father was a career Navy officer who retired as an Admiral. The Morrison family moved frequently to different naval bases around the country

Jim’s sister Anne told me me how she, Jim and their younger brother Andy took a navy shuttle bus into the base movie theater one night to watch a John Wayne movie. It was around 1955; Jim was maybe 12. At this time it was a requirement on military bases for audiences to stand while the National Anthem played. Jim, half in joke and half in patriotic fervor, stood and started singing at the top of his lungs. He was the only one singing and he sang the whole song.

I can see him doing this pretty clearly. I rode on those same military buses as a kid. My father was a Colonel in the Marine Corps. When I was 12, in 1965, I’d already moved 6 times.

The buses were driven by enlisted men in fatigues with really short hair. They’d been instructed to enforce complete silence. On the way to school the boys were seated on one side and the girls on the other. If a kid talked they were made to sit on the other side. The idea was that this would be humiliating, primarily for the boys, and would thereby prompt obedience. I can’t remember a single instance where a girl showed anything more than annoyonce in being forced to cross the aisle.

In elementary school the same No Talking rule applied during lunch. Boys and girls were permitted to sit together in the lunchroom though very few did. So, the punishment for talking was having your lunch taken away.

Even at 9 years old I suspected there was something absurdly tyrannical about making a room full of kids eat in complete silence. Once, a small, timid girl cried out at a sudden crack of thunder. The teacher, a clumping, thick-legged woman immediately took her lunch away. The girl sat stricken, fighting back tears. As distraught as she was I knew she was also starving.

I got up, walked over and gave her half my sandwich. The teacher glared at me but did nothing.

An equally rigid set of rules existed at home.

My father’s word was law. No one ever contradicted him. My mother, though sympathetic, bought into the chain of command and when push came to shove, which it frequently did, she always sided with the commander.

There was no television in the house. C’s on report cards and other infractions brought punishment from my father, usually with the belt to his uniform trousers. One of the worst came after I let a screen door slam.

This kind of discipline is designed with a single purpose; to create absolute obedience. It is the essence of the military. Survival depends on orders being obeyed instantly. Any questioning or hesitation from an individual could result in death or defeat for the entire group.

But, for a child this kind of discipline can crush a soul. Questioning is the essence of Life. It is how we learn to see. It is how we determine our own thoughts, how we develop the personality that is totally particular, special and unique to ourselves.

The struggle against a parent inflicting this kind of discipline is really one of life and death. There is no middle ground. To buy into it even a little means keeping a part of yourself subjugated, voiceless and inferior.

To fight it means standing up in the face of it and declaring, “It is either you or me.”

Apparently, this is exactly what Jim Morrison did.

There is no evidence that Admiral Morrison included physical abuse in disciplining his children. Anne Morrison recalls her father with great fondness and affection.

But, Jim swung out of the family nucleus very early. He left home to go to college; first in Florida, then in California at UCLA. When he ran into Ray Manzarek a few months after graduating, he had no money, no job and was living on someone’s roof a few blocks from the ocean near Venice Beach.

He was essentially homeless.

Wilber W.
WilberWebb
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 2,527
A little more than a year later Jim, Ray, John Densmore and Robby Krieger released their first album as the Doors. Jim’s separation from his family was already so entrenched they barely knew he was in a band. Andy found out the Doors had made a record only when a friend showed him the album and said one of the guys on the cover looked a little like his brother, Jim.

Although Jim later claimed he was only joking one wonders how Andy and the rest of the family reacted when they read the way he described them in the album’s liner notes:

Jim took the name of the band from this line in a poem by William Blake. It not only shows what Morrison was reading as a teenager; it also gives a glimpse into what his mind was turning on to.

Blake is suggesting if we cleared all the obstacles in our vision we would see life as it is; an alternately fascinating and terrifying mystery. Some of the things that keep us from seeing are the institutions we’ve set up to provide meaning and order; massive social cornerstones like Government, School, Religion and Family.

Although well-intentioned, each of these can become oppressive; serving as walls against any real self-discovery or awareness. The goal is to see things as they are, not as other people tell us they are. This takes courage. It is not easy to see so openly, and so honestly. It is painful, frightening and in some cases it brings complete alienation.

Perhaps this is why the Doors music resonates so deeply with those who’ve never felt they belonged anywhere.

It is impossible to know what really went on inside the Morrison family but Jim’s exit from it was permanent. Whatever he saw there pushed him out into the void with a vengeance. Home for him was someplace completely different.

As maddening and frustrating as it was to his friends and bandmates, his only responsibility seemed to be total freedom. He plunged headfirst into chaos in every performance. And, having survived, the next night he seemed obligated to go even further.

Few have pushed themselves so far and so frequently as Jim Morrison did. It seems part of his DNA. His girlfriend Pam asked him why he exhausted himself at an early show when he knew he had another one to give in an hour. His response was genuine surprise, “Why not? I might not live to the next one.”

Ray told me this story: shortly after that fateful meeting on the beach in Venice, Ray invited Jim to move in with him and his girlfriend, Dorothy. It all went pretty well for a while, with the two of them writing music, rehearsing and playing a few gigs. Then one day Ray looked at Jim’s hair and suggested he get it cut.

Jim erupted, screaming at Ray, “Don’t you ever tell me what to do!” Though they remained close friends Jim moved out, permanently.

The issue of hair in the military is intense. For the first 17 years of my life I had a crew-cut. It was barely tolerable in the early 60’s but when the family moved to California in 1968 it was excruciating. My junior high school was in town, outside the Marine base. I was literally the only one in it with short hair. Kids used to walk up to me in the hall and laugh in my face. Every plea to my father to let me grow my hair was refused. In fact, punishment for my brother and me now started with a visit to the military barber who was instructed to shave our heads even closer.

The ban was finally lifted when I went away to college. I’ve never cut my hair short since.

But, not every child from a military family goes through this kind of trauma. It takes something more than haircuts and discipline.

Before the Doors made their first record Jim approached a wealthy friend of his father for a loan. The friend told Admiral Morrison of the request and asked his advice. In a letter recounting this event Jim’s father writes: See Link

There is a lot of subtext in these few lines. I’m struck by both men’s concern over the length of Jim’s hair. But, even more significant is Admiral Morrison’s insistence the friend turn Jim down. He was completely oblivious to Jim’s gift. The gulf between them was so great he seemed to have no idea who his son was.

The myth of Family is a powerful one. It proclaims that family connections are sacred and should be maintained at all costs. We all buy into this; understandably. Who wants to be an orphan? But, I think sometimes the cost can be too high. I think sometimes maintaining family connections can only perpetuate pain and disappointment.

Jim Morrison chose to cut himself loose from them. It could have been an act of supreme selfishness; a childish cry for attention. Or it could have been a statement: I will be what I am, not what you say I am.

In any case, it took balls.

That’s one of the things I learned in making this film.
Wilber W.
WilberWebb
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 2,872
Banksy creates new Simpsons title sequence
Must Watch: Homeless Shoreditch local, Banksy takes over The Simpsons title sequence‎ - 6 minutes ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/...­
http://blogs.independ...­
http://www.guardian.c...­
Banksy takes Simpsons into sweatshop: Al Jean, The Simpsons executive producer, joked: "This is what you get when you outsource."

UK graffiti artist Banksy has created a controversial title sequence for long-running US animation The Simpsons.

The titles end with a forboding 20th Century Fox logo, heavily guarded with watchtowers, searchlights and a barbed wire fence. The show has mocked its network in the past.The secretive creation of the storyboard wasn’t without its problems – Banksy claims there were delays, disputes over broadcasting standards and even threats of a walk-out from the animation department.

Banksy, whose identity is unknown, has already paid tribute to The Simpsons in a New Orleans wall mural, featuring a Bart look-a-like writing “I must not copy what I see on the Simpsons” on the now famous classroom blackboard.

MoneyBart airs in the UK on 21 October and features Lisa coaching Bart’s baseball team to a string of surprising wins.

Street artist Banksy has turned director for a controversial new opening sequence of The Simpsons episode, MoneyBart, featuring an Asian sweatshop.

It is the first time a renowned artist has contributed to the storyboard, though famous faces are a regular feature of the long-running cartoon.

The intro sweeps through a graffitied Springfield, its signs and school sprayed with Banksy’s tag. Bart Simpson writes the lines “I must not write all over the walls” on the blackboard and walls of his classroom.

The credits then travel to a run-down factory with dozens of workers animating cells of the family and producing a variety of merchandise in horrific conditions; a tired panda pulls a cart of Bart Simpson dolls which have been stuffed with kitten fur, while a dolphin’s severed head licks boxes shut and a chained and starving unicorn punches holes in DVDs with its horn.

Banksy’s inspiration for the minute-long sweatshop sequence is said to have been reports of The Simpsons characters being animated in Seoul, South Korea.

UK graffiti artist Banksy has created a controversial title sequence for long-running US animation The Simpsons.

The intro, which was shown in the US on Sunday, opens with the street artist's tag scrawled across the town of Springfield.

It closes with a minute-long sequence showing dozens of sweatshop workers in a warehouse painting cartoon cells and making Simpsons merchandise.

The episode, called MoneyBart, will be shown in the UK on 21 October.

It is the first time an artist has been invited to storyboard part of the show.

The extended sequence was apparently inspired by reports the show outsources the bulk of their animation to a company in South Korea.

Delays and disputes

It features Bart Simpson with his face covered as he writes all over his classroom walls.

While in the sweatshop, kittens are thrown into a wood chipper so their fur can be used to stuff Bart Simpson dolls and a chained unicorn is used to punch holes in Simpsons DVDs.

According to the street artist, his storyboard led to delays, disputes over broadcast standards and a threatened walk out by the animation department.

"This is what you get when you outsource," joked The Simpsons executive producer Al Jean.

Other famous Britons to have contributed to the show include Tony Blair, Simon Cowell and Ricky Gervais.

Gervais also wrote Homer Simpson, This Is Your Wife in 2006, and is to make another appearance on the show next year.

Wilber W.
WilberWebb
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 4,895
We have to find a better way to help our homeless,, the shea show - DETROIT!

Portsmouthz 5 hours ago
So sad almost cryed

bronkelliott 8 hours ago
He is one year older than me. Sad to see but a reality in many of our cities today. The mind is a wonderful and terrible asset to all of us. God keep us all safe and protect our future generation as well. Take care Shea

outlawman2470 8 hours ago
You are the man Shea..We need more people like you around..
Wilber W.
WilberWebb
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 4,949
THE AMERICAN STREET KID - A Sneak peek at the Feature Documentary
Whole generation of americans forced into homelessness - massive abandoned properties - Infinite cash for top Banks and warfare - 3 Trillion spent so far in Iraq!
http://www.youtube.co...­

When are we going to get rid of these parasite Bankers?

When America is done and dusted?, - no more youth at all? Who will be the future?
Wilber W.
WilberWebb
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 5,577
The New 'hidden homeless' – without a home of their own
Homeless woman who fled family breakdown
http://www.theguardia...­

Tash was one of the 'hidden homeless' – without a home of her own, but not sleeping rough. She tells how after her relationship with her mother and sisters broke down, she slept on friends' sofas for months, terrified of ending up on the street. Feeling alienated, she found solace at her local church. When she contacted the homeless charity Centrepoint, they gave her a room of her own, security and the means to find a new direction and a brighter future
Wilber W.
WilberWebb
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 5,578
Carlos Santana Reunites with Homeless Ex Bandmate KRON OnAir
Xmas story: There should be some limits as to what "the bottom" is - there used to be!
http://www.youtube.co...­