align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Antisocialites: Unique people in their 20-30s Message Board › We've got a new Co-Organizer!

We've got a new Co-Organizer!

A former member
Dear Antisocialites,

I am proud to announce that we now have over 700 members in our group! It makes me happy to see so many new members joining this year. When I first moved to California in 2008, I didn’t know anybody. I came here thinking that as long as I tried hard enough I would surely find new and meaningful friends. It turns out that wasn’t enough.

After attending too many meetup events I learned that I also needed strategy. Most meetup groups in SF focused on the short-term experience—having fun. While there was nothing wrong with that, I wanted something on top of that sundae and I suspected I wasn’t alone.

It took a while for me to realize that the meetup I was looking for didn’t exist—at least not yet. So last year, I decided to put my theories into practice and formed this group. My goal was to foster a community of people who wanted to make meaningful friendships while also having a good time.

In addition to good intentions, I knew that this group would not work without two key ingredients: consistency and variety. This meant having events every week. I wanted people to look at our calendar and think, “Wow, there’s always something to do!” Lots of events meant lots of opportunities to get to know people—to go beyond the introductions and the small talk.

It also meant having many different kinds of events, both big and small. Everyone has particular social situations in which they thrive in and they’re not all the same. Some people like huge parties while others like small game nights. Some folks like heart-pumping activities where they get to throw balls at people while bouncing off the wall, while others like to chill out in front of a TV with a beer watching Star Trek. I wanted people to feel like there was always something appealing to them, even if it was unusual.

So I would like to say, “Thank You!” to all of our members, especially my Assistant Organizers: Matt, Jessica, David, Michael Lockwood, Lisa, John, and last but not least, Brittany! Thank you all for making this such a special group. Your involvement is what makes everything happen.

I am also announcing that Brittany is now officially my Co-Organizer! This means that she will be primarily in charge of the group while I assume a “consulting” role. I will still be active in the group and will plan/host my share of events, but Brittany will be the main driver of this bus to funsville. We’re in good hands.

Cheers!
-Kees