The Plein Air Painters Meetup Message Board › Plein Air Location Suggestions

Plein Air Location Suggestions

Joe
JoeMorey
Vienna, VA
Post #: 58
I wanted to give multiple answers to the poll, since anywhere except MD is good for me.

I voted for DC as the best compromise.
The specific places I would add to the list are the "Spanish Steps" (22nd Street near The Phillips Collection) and anywhere in Georgetown.

The only meetups I have attended have been on the C&O Canal and at the vineyard in Hume, which is way out in the VA countryside.

Nottoway Park is just behind the townhouse development where I live, and walkable from the Vienna Metro, so I can not only recommend it highly but offer some personal hospitality. In addition to the ball fields there is a nice historic house surrounded my some impressive trees, plus the community gardens.
Nancy
user 18476821
Potomac, MD
Post #: 1
I would like to paint at some of the areas along the C & O Canal such as Widewater, Violettes Lock, Swains Lock, Rileys Lock, and at Great Falls, MD. There are always a lot of good subjects at Brookside Gardens in Wheaton MD, and a few at Lake Needwood and the Agricultural Park in Derwood, MD.

Very soon the cherry blossoms will be out in Kenwood, MD. It's usually around April 3rd but might be a few days sooner this year. A good place to meet there is the centrally located circle on Brookside Drive. Parking is available close by on the nearby streets, but it's best to arrive early, around 9, since later it gets pretty full and you might have to park much further away.

I will post a proposal for Kenwood if we get a nice day during the few days they are in bloom.

Nancy
Nancy
user 18476821
Potomac, MD
Post #: 2
P.S.: In very hot weather in the summer it is nice to paint in shady Garrett Park MD (lots of old interesting victorian homes and foliage) and in Washington Grove MD (also very shady with old trees and interesting homes).
Nancy