the ArtHouse Message Board › A Top 10 of Coming Attractions!

A Top 10 of Coming Attractions!

Ronn
born2ronn
Group Organizer
Falls Church, VA
It has been a while since I’ve done a Top 10 of what’s going on. I want to wish everyone a great 2013 and hope I get to see or meet you this year soon.

1. This Thursday looks like an amazing day for cultural activities. Our group will be going to David Mamet’s “Race” in a Pay What You Can night at Theater J on 16th and Q. The Phillips Collection will be having a Brazilian Carnival theme for the First Thursday of the Month celebration. (We’ll probably go to the March 7 edition - From the Philippines to the Phillips.) And if you’ve never been to the House of Sweden on the Georgetown waterfront, Thursday is a great opportunity - the 4th Annual Georgetown Art Show will have its opening reception from 6-9 and it’s free. The show will run all weekend with special events at 2 pm on Saturday and Sunday.

2. Staying with Embassies, the French Embassy is hosting an interesting evening this Wednesday at 6 pm. The Next Generation Foreign Policy Network / US ANAJ-IHEDN Delegation, a national association of young professionals in France, will host former Navy SEAL and author J. Robert DuBois in a discussion titled "A 21st century concept of peace – as defined by a lifetime warrior." The evening will conclude with a reception and book-singing. A reservation is required to attend. Here‘s the link.

3. Also on Wednesday night is an art opening at the Embassy of Argentina, a beautiful place in at 1600 New Hampshire Ave. in Dupont Circle. It’s called Tangled Nature and begins at 6:30. It’s free and does not require reservations.

4. A couple weeks ago I posted an invitation from Talk Cinema, a wonderful film series at the equally wonderful AFI in Silver Spring. They show quality films that have yet to be released and then have discussions after. A new series begins tomorrow at 10 am. I went two weeks ago and the film turned out to be Spain’s entry to the Oscars, Blanca Nieves. It was exceptional - a modern take on Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, live action (about a bullfighter!) but silent with a thrilling Spanish guitar score. (really!)  So they are 1 for 1 in my book. They also do trips to film festivals.

5. The Human Rights Watch Film Festival begins Wednesday at the West End with Habibi about two university students in the West Bank who hail from Gaza. Check out this really interesting festival here - hopefully we’ll go to one soon.

6. In the local theater world, besides Race, Woolly Mammoth’s next show, The Convert, should be very good. I saw playwright Danai Gurira’s last plays there - Eclipsed and In the Continuum - and both were excellent. This one takes place in 1895 colonial southern Africa. The Pay What You Can is Friday, Feb. 15, when we see our first Oscar-nominated foreign film at National Geographic. Maybe we can do both! At Arena stage, Good People garnered superb reviews on Broadway last year - okay, having Frances McDormand helped - but Arena should do well with it. I’m ushering for it on Feb. 20 when they will also be having another one of their Piano Bars. Omg, these have been sensational! It’s Wednesday and it probably won’t start until about 9:30, but the talent they get to sing show tunes and other popular songs is amazing. I’ll probably post it - it’s free and one of the most fun atmospheres I know of in town. (Plus, Arena is gorgeous if you haven’t been there yet.) Zorro at Constellation sounds like a fun evening. They will have a $10 Industry Night on Monday night, Feb. 11. Here’s the link and use the code ARTIST.

7. If you’ve never seen last year’s Oscar winner, The Artist, have I got a deal for you. The Smithsonian American Art Museum is hosting a showing of it in their ultra-cool Kogod Courtyard on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 7 pm. We saw a silent film there last year and had a great time. If someone wants to host this for a Meetup, let me know. It’s free! The next jazz show at the Courtyard will be Thursday, Feb. 21. These are great fun but they’re kind of early, going from just 5-7 pm. Catch the last hour if you can.

8. Mark your calendar for the Environmental Film Festival coming March 12-24! This is probably the best film festival of the year, considering so much of it is free, high-quality and at various embassies, universities and other neat venues. Stay tuned for some meetups at that time.

9. Hillyer Art Space - one of our favorite First Friday destinations - has Life Drawing classes on Tuesday nights. They are reasonably priced and well run. Check them out here.  Member Megan has invited us to an art opening, Saturday, Feb. 9 at 3pm at the Margaret W and Joseph L Fisher Gallery at 3001 N. Beauregard St. in Alexandria. The exhibit is called In Craft and Character: Wasteland.  The Corcoran Gallery of Art has started Corcoran Uncorked on Wednesday nights (playing off what the Phillips does on Thursday nights). Highly recommended.

10. Sites I recommend for events: www.pinklineproject.comEventbrite; the blog Daily Campello Art News; and the Library of Congress list of free concerts.  I will get back to blogging very soon myself!

Lastly, always feel free to get in touch with me to suggest a meetup - if you can host, that really helps - or say hi. And, in general, I don’t need to know when you’re NOT attending an event unless you were originally signed up. Thanks so much. Happy culturing!

Ronn