addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

the ArtHouse Message Board › coming events from Saturday's email

coming events from Saturday's email

Group Organizer
Falls Church, VA
Post #: 4
Wanted to post these for people new to the site:

1. The CineAmericas Film Series begins Tuesday with an opening cocktail reception at 6 (with the directors!) followed by the film Pelotero: Ballplayer. The film series takes place during the On Common Ground exhibit from Dominican Republic and Haiti now at the Art Museum of the Americas on 201 18th St. near Constitution Ave. There will be films Wednesday - Friday as well including shorts on April 10. Free.

2. I love the Czech Embassy - beautiful location, nice people, great culture. This Monday at 6:30 pm, the Embassy of the Czech Republic, in collaboration with the Embassy of Israel and the Jewish Museum in Prague, will open the exhibition SILVER TIDE by renowned photojournalist Karel Cudlín to mark the Yom HaShoah - Day of Holocaust. It requires you to rsvp by end of today. Here's the link.

3. The Czech Embassy is also involved in a Film Series called V4 Screening: The Witness. For the next 3 Thursdays, they will show films at 7 pm at the Embassy of Hungary (April 11), Embassy of Slovak Republic (April 18) and Embassy of Czech Republic (April 25). All screenings are free and will be followed by a reception. Hungary and Slovak are Embassies that don’t often have events.

4. On Thursday, April 18, at the wonderful Goethe Institut, there will be an opening and discussion. Reconciling Lives: German-Jewish Dialogue and Reconciliation. There will be a keynote, a panel discussion and a reception. These are always stimulating evenings - maybe I’ll post it as a Meetup. It’s free but you need to rsvp.

5. Let's talk local theater. There are two great shows out there right now: 4000 Miles at Studio and American Utopias with the amazing Mike Daisey at Woolly Mammoth. Try to get to 4000 Miles; it’s about as good as theater gets around here. I met Amy Herzog, the playwright, a couple years ago in New York and she’s rightly becoming the next big thing. The play I saw there, After the Revolution, opens Theater J’s new season in September. I also went to a talk and reception for Gilgamesh last week, Constellation Theater’s next production at Source Theater. We’ll probably attend their PWYC May 2. As a theater reaching out to the community, they do everything right.

6. This Wednesday at 6:30 pm, the Embassy of Argentina will host their next art opening - Tango Visions. It looks really fun. The always-welcoming Embassy (except when they schedule great films in their unfortunately small theater) is located at 1600 New Hampshire Ave., NW. It’s part of the larger DC Tango Festival taking place all this month.

7. This Thursday at the wonderful Avalon Theater on Wisconsin Ave., they will have 2 showings of the Oscar-winning documentary short Inocente (45 minutes) by local filmmakers Sean and Andrea Nix Fine. It’s a benefit for A Reason to Survive. I worked with Sean Fine’s grandfather Nate at the Washington Redskins. He was an incredible photographer who chronicled everything happening in Washington for close to 50 years. (I still have a contact sheet he gave me of the Beatles first visit to DC in 1964.) Sean’s parents, Paul and Holly Fine, won numerous Emmys for their work on 60 Minutes. I hope ArtHouse folks can support this evening. Hmmm, maybe we should do a Meetup. The Avalon is also playing a film called The Revolutionary Optimists that has gotten good reviews.
8. Movies! The DC Filmfest is here. I’ve posted the closing night film and I’ll try to do a little more research on the other films and perhaps post one or two others. It’s not my favorite festival because I believe it’s not enough anymore to just bring films here. We get most of the good ones in all our wonderful venues. I think a festival needs buzz and community and a social element. They hardly involve any embassies and, I believe, have just 2 scheduled receptions. Other cities do this much better - just my opinion. They do seem to be bringing in more directors - that’s a start. Why can't they just do a coffee or wine thing after?

9. Other films I like playing in the area now: It seems that everyone enjoyed STARBUCK, including me. I enjoyed ADMISSION with Paul Rudd and Tina Fey, not a laugh riot but intelligent and how great is it to see Lily Tomlin back. (I wish AFI would show the great film NASHVILLE some time where she received an Oscar nomination.) Two films that I thought deserved better reviews are the Dustin Hoffman-directed film QUARTET and Steven Soderbergh‘s SIDE EFFECTS. Let’s hope he doesn’t really retire. GINGER AND ROSA by the always-interesting Sally Potter is worth seeing for the supporting roles alone of Oliver Platt, Timothy Spall, Annette Bening and Christina Hendricks. The Chilean film NO is worth seeing; I especially liked BARBARA, also at the Avalon.

10. What else? Wow. The Arlington Arts Center has their next big opening Saturday April 13 from 6-9. It will be presented by Washington Project for the Arts. It’s the 15th installment of this biennial exhibition. They are very community-oriented.

11. Music. This is not my specialty so if you have recommendations or would like to organize let me know. Let's plug the Georgetown University Jazz Festival on Saturday, April 27.
Bring a blanket for a day of great music from local and national artists at the Georgetown University Jazz Festival. The lineup includes the Georgetown University Jazz Ensemble with Jimmy Owens, trumpet, who has played as a sideman with such extraordinary jazz leaders as Lionel Hampton, Hank Crawford, Charles Mingus, Max Roach, Duke Ellington, Billy Taylor, and the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Band, among others. It’s at the WHITE-GRAVENOR PATIO/COPLEY LAWN. Also, on Tuesday at Jammin Java is one of my personal favorite groups, Hot Club of Cowtown. Maybe I’ll post as a meetup.