the ArtHouse Message Board › Fall 2009 Newsletter | Washington Museum Movies Meetup

Fall 2009 Newsletter | Washington Museum Movies Meetup

A former member
Hello fellow movie lovers!

Can you believe summer is officially over tomorrow? The Washington Museum Movies Meetup has had a fantastic summer this year with fun movie outings and nice receptions to go along with them. Thank you everyone who attended one or more of our Meetups! Every member here will agree how nice it is to see familiar faces at every Meetup. To our first-time members: another big WELCOME! We hope to see you again soon!

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you who donated to help pay for Meetup fees. This is OUR Meetup and together we are making it happen! Thank you again for your support and dedication.

DC Shorts Festival Meetup Event Recap

We had a blast a couple of weeks ago at the DC Shorts Film Festival. The lineup of shorts was very impressive, with something for all of us to enjoy! That night we felt like movie stars when a swarm of photographers greeted us with their blinding flashing cameras as we were walking out of the venue. We posed for the DC Shorts photographers in the lobby --a couple of our group shots made it on the DC Shorts Flickr website. Check out our Hollywood-worthy grins here and here! At the reception following the screening we got to meet and mingle with some of the filmmakers, writers and actors from the short films featured that evening. Overall, an awesome night for us film lovers! If you missed this event, be sure to join us next year!

Fall 2009 Season

If you haven't had a chance to attend any of our events yet, we invite you to join us this fall! The upcoming season promises to keep us busy and entertained. Not only will there be more film festivals and screenings on the radar, but with the arrival of the awards season at the end of the year, we will also have plenty of high-caliber indie and foreign films to choose from. A bunch of film festivals are happening this fall, including Thai Talents '09 (sign up for this outing ­HERE), the AFI Latin American Festival (Meetup details to be posted on our site soon), the AFI European Union Film Showcase and many others.

As always we're on the lookout for the winning Washington Museum Movies Meetup recipe: film screenings with complimentary receptions. And we profess a soft spot for free screenings and filmmakers Q&As/discussions! Stay tuned for another exciting season of films and fun!

Call for Assistant Organizers

While there are a lot of interesting film events out there, I can't host Meetups for them all on my own, which is why I need your help! If you are eager to attend a particular film event for which we don't have a Meetup scheduled, this is your chance to do something about it. If you've always been curious about what it's like to host or are interested in becoming an Assistant Organizer, please let me know! The more people volunteer to host, the greater variety of events we'll have! This is your opportunity to make the Washington Museum Movies Meetup what you want it to be.

Contrarily to what many people think, hosting a Meetup does NOT require a lot of work. As a host, the two most important things you have to do are 1) show up for the event you're scheduled to host and 2) ensure in one way or another that members find you at the event. A Meetup organizer's job is mainly to get members to find each other. You don't have to commit to hosting more than one event. And no, you don't have to wear a red hat or red beret (though it's been proven to have a way of getting members together) ;).

Some of the advantages you will reap as a Meetup organizer:
1) you get to pick whatever film you want to see at the time, date and location of your choice (i.e., you call the shots)
2) you'll have people who share your love of indie films to watch and discuss films with (i.e., no more watching movies by yourself)
3) everyone who comes will want to talk to you because you're the organizer (i.e., you'll be a people magnet)
4) everyone will be very grateful to you for hosting and they will tell you so at the Meetups you host (i.e., everyone will be extra nice to you --provided you're nice to them, too).

All in all, hosting a Meetup event is a fun, rewarding experience. I encourage you to give it a try!

Join us for a film outing!

The Washington Museum Movies Meetup is made up of a group of people who not only share a passion for independent, foreign and documentary films, but also enjoy the fellowship of spending time with fellow members in a convivial, laid-back environment. So come on out this fall and experience thought-provoking films with friendly, smart, fun-loving people all eager to meet you!

See you at the movies!

~Cinthia
Washington Museum Movies Organizer