addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Autism Society Inland Empire Message Board › Please Participate! Research study: Mom's and their child with ASD

Please Participate! Research study: Mom's and their child with ASD

Mike
user 11256353
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 19
Hello All, My name is Mike Greisler. Please consider participating in my research!! Its for my dissertation in counseling psychology. I've been working as a therapist with folks with ASD since 1999. Contact me with any questions here or at mjgreisler@live.carlow.edu. Thank you! smile

For my dissertation, I’m conducting a study involving high functioning individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) between the ages of 13 and 25 and their mothers. The dissertation is called MOTHERS AND THEIR CHILDREN WITH HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER: PERCEPTIONS OF RELATIONAL VICTIMIZATION.

Relational victimization is a subtle form of bullying; it involves having your feelings hurt by another person who is manipulating your relationships (e.g., being ostracized, having rumors spread about you, etc.). Both mother and the individual with high function autism spectrum disorder will separately complete the on-line survey during the same session.
Data will be gathered from both mother and individual with high ASD. High functioning autism spectrum disorder is defined as an individual with an autism spectrum diagnosis (i.e., PDD, NOS, autistic disorder, Asperger's disorder) and an IQ of 80 or above.

Theory of mind is the ability to identify and understand the thoughts, desires, intentions, and beliefs of others Theory of mind skills may have an affect on being targets with relational aggression as well as perceiving it. Theory of mind skills will be compared between mothers and their children with ASD.

Everything is completely confidential. Neither the name of the individual with high functioning autism spectrum disorder nor the name of the mother will appear on any questionnaire or database, and no other identifying information will be used in the data analysis. Only the responses to the survey will appear in statistical data summaries.

Purpose of the study:
The prevalence of RA within the HFASD population has not been studied by self-report. Moreover, a comparison between perceptions of children, adolescents, and young adults with HFASD and their parents regarding potential relational victimization has not yet been presented in the relevant literature base. Most importantly, the study will explore the impact of Theory of Mind (ToM) ability on perceptions of RA. Lastly, this study may provide further exposure of the existence of relational aggression within our society and more specifically within the HFASD community.

NOTE: Both the mother and child must fill out the survey at the same session! The mother fills out the first part of the survey and the child fills out the next section. You should not observe each other filling out the survey or share your answers.
If you would like to participate in this study, there are two different and separate steps for adults compared to minors with high functioning autism disorder:
1) If you are the mother and adult child (ages 18-25) with HFASD and are ready to participate in the research, please click here:

http://www.surveymonk...­

2) If you are the mother of a child (ages 13-17) with the HFASD diagnosis, please sign the consent form. Once signed, you can either 1) mail the consent form to Michael Greisler, 304 Elm Ave Apt #2 Sharon, PA 16146 or 2) scan and email to mjgreisler@live.carlow.edu.

Thank you for sharing and participating in this research project.