Memphis Atheists Message Board › Religious & anti-gay crap in PUBLIC SCHOOL's sports

Religious & anti-gay crap in PUBLIC SCHOOL's sports

Carolyn B.
user 7780089
Collierville, TN
Post #: 1
I'm just freaking FLOORED by something my child's public high school soccer booster club did. They are selling T-shirts as fund-raisers. One of them has a Bible verse on it, and the other is a soccer mom shirt that starts off "I'm a Chick-fil-a loving ..."

WTF? I have written to explain why I'm not buying, to request that the Chick-Fil-A shirt be withdrawn, and to notify them I've already contacted Chick-Fil-A's legal department of the misuse of their name. (The shirts are part of a fund-raiser for a charity.)

I am about to become the most hated atheist mother in the Collierville High School Lady Dragons booster club. :o( But I guess I can take it. My only regret: Two typos in the chilly letter I wrote to the booster club organizers.

SCREW them for inserting their personal religious beliefs into a sports booster club forum. See the picture here: http://www.flickr.com...­

~ Carolyn Bahm
A former member
Post #: 2
I'm getting all up into Millington Municipal School System because at their celebration held at the high school this past Saturday they led off with a Christian prayer. I bitched about how they are BREAKING THE LAW on Facebook and a wife of one of the school board members sent me a Facebook message:

"Really Robin! This is exactly what our school is based on. We have a Superendent who quotes scripture and ask for prayers. Finally we are out from under the cloud of humanistic government that doesn't allow prayer in school. Our rights as Christians have been stepped on for too long. It is refeshing to have prayers at events and not feel like our rights have been taken away. Frankly I am shocked that you would see things this way. I thought better of you."

Well, that pissed me off even more. I've sent an email to the MMS website (there's no contact info for individuals) and I dropped by the school board office this morning to request a meeting with the superintendent. He was unavailable so I left a message stating I am a concerned parent and need them to stop breaking the law.

Wish me luck!