addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Atlanta Ruby Meetup Group Message Board › Questions about the Atlanta Rails market

Questions about the Atlanta Rails market

Kenton N.
kentonnewby
Mableton, GA
Post #: 1
Hey folks,

I'm Kenton and I'm a rails developer living in Maryland, just outside of DC...at least for now.

My wife and I are interested in moving to Atlanta sometime next year, around the May-June timeframe after we finish our master's degrees. The goal is to be closer to family and in a place with a lower cost of living than what we have here in DC.

I'm curious about what the work/hiring environment is like there in Atlanta. Specifically,

* who are the big Rails companies in the area (other than the sponsors of this meetup, of course)?
* what is the typical salary, or salary range for the area (this is a big one as it's hard for me to judge what would be a "good" salary for a rails developer in Atlanta)
* what's the hiring environment like? are people hiring rails devs? My guess is yes given the job postings here in the discussion board and the way things are going here in DC. I'd imagine things are similar in Atlanta.

I have a couple of years experience with RoR. I'm pretty confident in my technical skills but could probably stand to do more frontend work to grow in that area.

Just looking for a bit of a pulse check from people that are there in the area, either hiring managers or other developers.

Feel free to reply to this thread or shoot me a private email through my profile page.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Kenton