The Austin Knitting and Crocheting Meetup Group Message Board Help! › Want to learn how to knit or crochet?

Want to learn how to knit or crochet?

A former member
Post #: 30
Learn How to Knit or Crochet

A lot of people e-mail me saying they want to learn how to knit or crochet and ask if we can help them get started. Well, yes, we'll definitely try to help you learn!

Bring the following supplies to one of the Meetups in order to start knitting:

Go to Jo-Ann Fabrics, Michaels or Hobby Lobby, get a skein (ball) of yarn (look for a worsted weight wool like Lion Brand Wool-Ease in a light color) and size 9 or 10 straight needles (they'll probably be about 10" long). Alternatively, get a 16” or 20" or 24" circular needle in a size 9 or 10.

There are plenty of people who crochet at our Meetups, but definitely fewer of us. If you want to learn how to crochet, you can buy the same yarn as stated above and a crochet hook appropriate for the yarn (check your yarn label). Just ask at the Meetup you attend and hopefully there will be someone there who can help you.

Once you've learned on that yarn, you may want to check out Hill Country Weavers, The Knitting Nest and Gauge in Austin, as well as Bluebonnet Yarn in Cedar Park, which have gorgeous, more expensive yarns that are great to work with!

Welcome to our craft!

Beginning Knitting Classes

Gauge

Hill Country Weavers

Jo-Ann Fabrics

The Knitting Nest

Hobby Lobby

Beginning Crochet Classes

Hill Country Weavers

Jo-Ann Fabrics

The Knitting Nest

Hobby Lobby
A former member
Post #: 54
Just in case you are really new to yarn and all this here's a tip I learned the hard way smile

The paper label that's wrapped around the yarn is the ball band and it has little diagrams on it that give you information. The main thing you need to know to get started is what size needle/hook you need for this yarn. Look for a picture of two little knitting needles crossed or a little crochet hook and near that picture will be your size. This size will be given in two or three different formats but most of them will have one number with US next to it, that's your needle size!

Good Luck!
Lora
blackcurrant
Cedar Park, TX
Post #: 389
I'd also add that KnittingHelp.com was is a wonderful resource to learn from if you can't or don't want to take a class. That's where I learned how to purl. I just played the video over and over and over again. Then had an expert friend verify that I had learned it correctly.
Becky B.
BeckyTutor
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I taught crochet classes last summer and have been crocheting for about 40 years. I suggest an "I" hook for beginners. Beginning crocheters tend to work tightly and the larger hook helps with the tension. If you are a knitter learning to crochet, you will tend to have an easier time than someone who has done neither. Knitters are already used to manipulating the needles and yarn and getting the right tension. As you gain in experience, then you can use the recommended hook. The type of yarn depends on what you are trying to make, of course. I recommend a 4 ply (check the label) yarn. The label will also tell you if it is acrylic, wool, cotton, blend, etc. Start with something simple and less expensive until you have the basic stitches. After that there are lots and lots of great yarns to choose from.