Austin PHP Meetup Message Board › Meeting Minutes?

Meeting Minutes?

This message board is read-only.

Mike S.
mikes309
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I was wondering if could post minutes for the meeting. Or even if no one took official "minutes", maybe someone could just recap what was covered. This would have been my first time but I got stuck cleaning my old apartment after moving. (Trust me, that was not my preferred activity smile )
A former member
Post #: 10
I have a lot of work to catch up on right now, but I will try to post a recap of Thursday's meetup tomorrow.

Regards,
David
A former member
Post #: 12
We had six people show up: Steve Bauer, Brian Massey, Mike Moore, John Reid, Howard Katz, and me. Remember that 11 people RSVPed 'yes' and 8 'maybe.'

We ate, drank, and discussed many topics including web standards, MySQL transactions, and open source projects, just to name a few off the top of my head. Then we got into the real purpose of the meeting: to answer the question "What is the Austin PHP Meetup?"

Using the Dallas PHP User Group (DPUG, the world's most active PHP user group) as a model, we were able to define some of the major things that our group should strive to achieve in the future and how we should aim to accomplish those goals.

Amazingly, we are already the 6th most active PHP meetup worldwide. However, our biggest challenge is getting people to come to the meetups. We decided that:

* to increase participation, we need to get people to volunteer to give scheduled presentations on particular subjects relating to PHP.

* we need to have a mailing list to impove communication in our group between meetups (see my latest announcement concerning this -- we have it now :) See http://groups-beta.go...­

* we need to change the meeting day to something *other than* the first Thursday of each month - too many conflicts including the Web Standards Meetup and First Thursday. We are looking at moving to the 2nd or 4th Thursday of each month.

* we will be starting another monthly "Intro to PHP" meeting. This will really help boost our membership as many people are looking to learn PHP, but are intimidated of jumping into a pool full of PHP sharks at our "big" meetups. ;) A fair amount of planning should go into this as far as who will be teaching, what exactly will be taught, how it will be taught, and whether or not there will be any costs related to this before we get it started. This will hopefully come about sometime in March.

And that's most of what we did. There's probably more that I've forgotten to mention, so if anyone would like to fill in more, please do!

Hope this helps,
David