Backpackers Anonymous - Salt Lake City, Utah Message Board › Muddy Creek - "The Chute"- cancelled due to no water & hike has been cancelled
|Doug Van E.||
I've updated this Meetup. For more details, see the full listing:
When: Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:00 AM
Where: I-70 going west, Exit 131
~30 miles west of Green River, UT
Green River, UT
I apologize for all of the changes. I have not met anyone yet who can control the water level in a little stream like Muddy Creek. Last year at this time it was a lively, wall-to-wall full river; this year, . . . .
Muddy Creek area has now become Arches Natl Park for Saturday, May 19th for those who have canyoneering gear and want to come there.
These changes are due to weather and lack of water in Muddy Creek. When I checked last week there was 45 cfs in the creek and forecast to remain the same. That is too low to do anything more than drag boats or just plain walk. The Chute is a 14-15 miles hike with mud & quick sand and even such a respected authority as Rick Thompson agrees, this is not a practical hike in the heat of May.
I am going to cancel this event and I am going to change the Knotted Rope Canyon on Sunday to Dragonfly Canyon, in Arches Natl Park on Saturday. The reason for moving the canyon is this: the drive to Arches is all paved and easy. The intent with Knotted Rope was to do potholes with water in them. A first-hand report from April 24th said there was less than waist-deep water then in only 2 of the 8 potholes. So, by now, chances are there is no water at all. One reason for looking for wet potholes as to cool off in the 80+ degree heat. If there is no water, the original reason for going here has been removed. If we are going to look for potholes that are very likely dry anyway, we may as well do that where the drive is easy on vehicles and drivers; and drive time is shorter.
So this has now become a Saturday Canyoneering event for which you must have the basic gear - helmet, harness, rappel device, 2-4 carabiners, leather or other protective gloves, 12' of 1" webbing.
If the changes affect your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP. (You can RSVP "No" or "Yes".)
You can always get in touch with me through my group profile on Meetup.