Austin Backpackers Message Board General Discussion › Good Gear For Cheap: REI Flash 50/65 backpack on clearance for under $100

Good Gear For Cheap: REI Flash 50/65 backpack on clearance for under $100

A former member
Post #: 9
Hi All,

The REI Flash pack is a very good design for a multi-day backpack and is on clearance for just under $100. I have an earlier model and I love it.

http://www.rei.com/ou...­

Notes:
- limit your load to 35 pounds with these
- either size would work. The 65 will give ample room, but remember to keep the weight no more than 35 pounds.
- the lightweight fabric is not bulletproof; you don't have to baby these packs, but you don't want to throw them on the ground or go bushwhacking with them.
- the torso length is not adjustable: they either fit you or they don't. That's actually true of all backpacks.
Go try one on at the store and listen to what the salespeople say.
Tom
user 13163504
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I have carried a Flash 65 on a couple of trips. You could probably stuff more than 35 lbs in it, but you shouldn't have to if you pack right. There are a few adjustments you can make to the fit, but not many. Pack is reasonably lightweight and has plenty of pockets and straps. Also has a pocket and loop to hold a dehydration bladder. Like Elliott says, talk to the salespeople at REI. If Amanda is still working at the REI-Austin-Gateway store she can tell you all about it. She carries a Flash.